Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Sphere inside a sphere

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

First, I'm using COMSOL 4.0.

I'm trying to use COMSOL's geometry tool to create five spheres inside one another. The smallest sphere is the only real "sphere". The remaining spheres I created begin at the same place but have different diameters. What I was hoping for was the additional spheres to act as shells around one another. Is this the case?

I assumed when I selected materials from the property library that each sphere on the outside was acting as a shell, but you can't exactly tell while selecting the material. As COMSOL highlights each, it hides the shells inside of itself by shading red or blue.

3 Replies Last Post Jun 18, 2010, 1:37 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 16, 2010, 3:27 p.m. EDT
Hi

if I understand you well you have several spheres around the same centre, or a layer of thick "onions" shells. At least that is also what I expect you will obtain, once "analysed" (after the "Finish" in V4).

To be able to select them easier, try the transparency option, or select them via their ID, then you can also "hide items" to select further "inside".

One thing to take care of: is the relative sizes (order of magnitudes of their respective radii) and to define how many elements you have/will get, just to be sure you stay within you RAM limits

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi if I understand you well you have several spheres around the same centre, or a layer of thick "onions" shells. At least that is also what I expect you will obtain, once "analysed" (after the "Finish" in V4). To be able to select them easier, try the transparency option, or select them via their ID, then you can also "hide items" to select further "inside". One thing to take care of: is the relative sizes (order of magnitudes of their respective radii) and to define how many elements you have/will get, just to be sure you stay within you RAM limits Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 17, 2010, 12:58 p.m. EDT
Thanks Ivar,

Yes I'm trying to make an onion type of problem. I am able to select the proper spheres to give them their respective properties (I used wireframe and/or ID).

The sizes of the layers are small, and relative to one another. I have around 0.2mm, 0.25mm, 0.3mm, 0.35mm, 0.4mm radii layers.

So if I'm reading this correctly, ID1 (smallest sphere) will by the only "sphere" with properties, and the others will actually be shells of spheres. This is what I am hoping to make. This configuration is a type of nuclear fuel which has uranium dioxide in the center, and layers built up around this initial kernel. So hopefully I'll be able to model this fuel properly. Now I just need to create a material library entry for uranium oxide.

Thanks again.
Thanks Ivar, Yes I'm trying to make an onion type of problem. I am able to select the proper spheres to give them their respective properties (I used wireframe and/or ID). The sizes of the layers are small, and relative to one another. I have around 0.2mm, 0.25mm, 0.3mm, 0.35mm, 0.4mm radii layers. So if I'm reading this correctly, ID1 (smallest sphere) will by the only "sphere" with properties, and the others will actually be shells of spheres. This is what I am hoping to make. This configuration is a type of nuclear fuel which has uranium dioxide in the center, and layers built up around this initial kernel. So hopefully I'll be able to model this fuel properly. Now I just need to create a material library entry for uranium oxide. Thanks again.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 18, 2010, 1:37 a.m. EDT
Hi

when you say shell, you mean a 3D volume ? then the answer is yes,

not to confuse with the sphere surface (= surface shell). Both are possible but in 3D you have the volume = subdomains you must define too, in addition you can add surface properties (2D)

have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi when you say shell, you mean a 3D volume ? then the answer is yes, not to confuse with the sphere surface (= surface shell). Both are possible but in 3D you have the volume = subdomains you must define too, in addition you can add surface properties (2D) have fun Comsoling Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.