Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupling between free and porous media flow-impossible to solve in 3D?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi every body,
I have a model simple including a free domain( a block) and a porous media(a cylinder). The flow is described by the Navier stock equation in free region and the brinkman equations in the porous media. I tried all solver , only solvers indirect and the preconditioner "complete U"could be run, but it was not converged. So, it is impossible to solve this simple coupling?
I attatch the file .mph below if someone want to see the problem

1 Reply Last Post Jun 26, 2010, 8:42 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 26, 2010, 8:42 p.m. EDT
Hi, I tried to run your model, but it said it was in a version compiled before 3.5a, so it cannot be opened in 4.0

You could try upgrading to a more recent COMSOL to see if that helps?

More generally, try running at a lower Reynold's number and see if you can get that to converge. If so, then you could use a continuation technique where you slowly increase the Re to what you need, using the previous answer as initial guess to the next.

Regards, John
Hi, I tried to run your model, but it said it was in a version compiled before 3.5a, so it cannot be opened in 4.0 You could try upgrading to a more recent COMSOL to see if that helps? More generally, try running at a lower Reynold's number and see if you can get that to converge. If so, then you could use a continuation technique where you slowly increase the Re to what you need, using the previous answer as initial guess to the next. Regards, John

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.