Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

import error 2211

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I try to import one CAD file with the stl format, but the following error appears:

Error: 2211
Face cannot be parameterized.

Exception:
com.femlab.jni.FlNativeException: Face cannot be parameterized

Stack trace:
at geommeshimport.cpp, row 760, ()
at com.femlab.geom.StlReader.convertToGeoms(Native Method)
at com.femlab.geom.StlReader.load(Unknown Source)
at com.femlab.geom.GeomImporter.load(Unknown Source)
at com.femlab.geom.GeomImportRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at com.femlab.server.FlRunner.run(Unknown Source)
at com.femlab.util.i.run(Unknown Source)
at com.femlab.util.aa.run(Unknown Source)
In the log
STL file contains 942314 triangles.
Number of points after snapping: 454362
Warning: There are 27350 duplicated triangles.
Warning: Ignoring 6330 singular triangles.
Warning: There are 4 singular triangles.

When I import the same file but in wrl format the message that appears in the log is the following:

VRML file contains 833830 triangles.
Warning: There are 575479 duplicated triangles.
Warning: There are 107 singular triangles.

Someone knows how to resolve the problem?

6 Replies Last Post Nov 26, 2010, 8:47 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tiago Santos

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 2, 2010, 1:27 a.m. EDT
did you solve this problem ? because i have the same
T
did you solve this problem ? because i have the same T

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 2, 2010, 10:33 a.m. EDT
Hello,

No.
Hello, No.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 26, 2010, 5:18 a.m. EST
Hi,

Did you find a solution for this error? I am trying to import a tetrahedral mesh created by CGAL, which is a list of elements and nodes using the matlab interface. I am stuck at this error. Any help is highly appreciated.

Best,
Kodanda
Hi, Did you find a solution for this error? I am trying to import a tetrahedral mesh created by CGAL, which is a list of elements and nodes using the matlab interface. I am stuck at this error. Any help is highly appreciated. Best, Kodanda

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 26, 2010, 8:01 a.m. EST
Hi

STL file formats are not geometrical files in the sens high level geometrical objects, these are sets of points and edges, sometimes surfaces, not necessarily linked.

Comsol MUST regenerate geoemtries out of this, but this is not always possible as this info is not uniquely defined for any unique topology. You need to generate entitities (analysed geometry in 3.5) such that COMSOL can apply the physics. Therefore importing mesh is by far NOT the best way to use COMSOL, but sometimes we cannot get around.

I mut say that under 3.5a I was surprised how well COMSOL managed to regererate geometry from NASTRAN neutral mesh files, but I havent tried it in V4, its perhaps not yet as efficient

Perhaps also worth to try in COMSOL kernel and CAD kernel

Note STEP and PARASOLID, ... are high level geomemtry file exchange formats, IGES, STL, DXF, are not

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi STL file formats are not geometrical files in the sens high level geometrical objects, these are sets of points and edges, sometimes surfaces, not necessarily linked. Comsol MUST regenerate geoemtries out of this, but this is not always possible as this info is not uniquely defined for any unique topology. You need to generate entitities (analysed geometry in 3.5) such that COMSOL can apply the physics. Therefore importing mesh is by far NOT the best way to use COMSOL, but sometimes we cannot get around. I mut say that under 3.5a I was surprised how well COMSOL managed to regererate geometry from NASTRAN neutral mesh files, but I havent tried it in V4, its perhaps not yet as efficient Perhaps also worth to try in COMSOL kernel and CAD kernel Note STEP and PARASOLID, ... are high level geomemtry file exchange formats, IGES, STL, DXF, are not -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 26, 2010, 8:30 a.m. EST
Dear Mr. Ivar,

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I have no option other than using an externally generated mesh. I am modelling a porous structure reconstructed from tomographic method. I use iso2mesh (a matlab wrapper script around CGAL 3D meshing libraries) to generate tetrahedral mesh, so that I have node and element list at the end. Then I use MATLAB API of COMSOL 4.0a such that mesh.data.setElem + mesh.data.setVertex and mesh.data.createMesh will export the mesh. I save the model in matlab as *.mph and reopen in COMSOL to solve.

For some geometries the mesh.createMesh has been successful and for some geometries it gives me the error "Faces cannot be parametrized" in MATLAB.

As you've mentioned, COMSOL 3.5a was never complaining about importing mesh in this fashion for all the 10-20 meshes I tried before (not the one that failed in 4.0a, though).

I found a property of mesh "faceparam" that is by default set to "on". So set it to "off" before running mesh.data.createMesh. The script got further without the error and I could open the *mph file in COMSOL. However, I am not sure what are the consequences when I do a stress-strain analysis.

Does disabling "faceparam" effect my stored/derived quantities like reaction forces/fluxes, perhaps due to lack of topological relationships?

Is there any extra information I could provide to COMSOL in addition to nodes+elements so that COMSOL can handle the mesh in a more efficient way?

Best regards,
Kodanda
Dear Mr. Ivar, Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I have no option other than using an externally generated mesh. I am modelling a porous structure reconstructed from tomographic method. I use iso2mesh (a matlab wrapper script around CGAL 3D meshing libraries) to generate tetrahedral mesh, so that I have node and element list at the end. Then I use MATLAB API of COMSOL 4.0a such that mesh.data.setElem + mesh.data.setVertex and mesh.data.createMesh will export the mesh. I save the model in matlab as *.mph and reopen in COMSOL to solve. For some geometries the mesh.createMesh has been successful and for some geometries it gives me the error "Faces cannot be parametrized" in MATLAB. As you've mentioned, COMSOL 3.5a was never complaining about importing mesh in this fashion for all the 10-20 meshes I tried before (not the one that failed in 4.0a, though). I found a property of mesh "faceparam" that is by default set to "on". So set it to "off" before running mesh.data.createMesh. The script got further without the error and I could open the *mph file in COMSOL. However, I am not sure what are the consequences when I do a stress-strain analysis. Does disabling "faceparam" effect my stored/derived quantities like reaction forces/fluxes, perhaps due to lack of topological relationships? Is there any extra information I could provide to COMSOL in addition to nodes+elements so that COMSOL can handle the mesh in a more efficient way? Best regards, Kodanda

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 26, 2010, 8:47 a.m. EST
Hi

you are asking me for internals of COMSOL that I do simply not know (I'm just a user as you, I'm not from COMSOL) so ask "support" they should be able to give you good replies

But I can suggest that you run 3.5a, import the STL mesh, save it as "analysed geometry", then try to generate a "comsol geometry", and then save that in mphbin files. Then you can import one or the other into v4.

In anycase, such issues, for me, should also be reported to support, so that the developpers can make V4 at least achive the nice features of 3.5a ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you are asking me for internals of COMSOL that I do simply not know (I'm just a user as you, I'm not from COMSOL) so ask "support" they should be able to give you good replies But I can suggest that you run 3.5a, import the STL mesh, save it as "analysed geometry", then try to generate a "comsol geometry", and then save that in mphbin files. Then you can import one or the other into v4. In anycase, such issues, for me, should also be reported to support, so that the developpers can make V4 at least achive the nice features of 3.5a ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.