Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to creat TE plane wave in Comsol 4.0 RF module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am a new player in Comsol 4.0.

My question is : How to creat ideal TE plane wave in Comsol 4.0 RF module?
How can we know the wave produced is an TE plane wave?

I tried three methods as mentioned in several models: electric field boundary condition, surface current density boundary condition and scattering boundary condition. But I don't know whether I have obtained the ideal TE plane wave? (the attached image is produced by using the electric filed boundary condition: set Ez=1; Ex=0;Ey=0).

Is it wrong or not?

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies Last Post Nov 14, 2012, 4:58 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 6, 2010, 4:59 a.m. EDT
Generally you will need scattering boundary condition only. The other two options are better reserved for special cases. The difference between scattering boundary condition and the rest is that the former does not impose any physical condition on solution which is what we mean in numerical simulations by considering an incident plane wave.

Electric field and current definitions are rather used when you really mean it. For eg., if you consider a boundary to be hooked at some definite electric field or current value, then use the corresponding boundary condition. Otherwise, it is generally going to give you a lot of unlikely results.
Generally you will need scattering boundary condition only. The other two options are better reserved for special cases. The difference between scattering boundary condition and the rest is that the former does not impose any physical condition on solution which is what we mean in numerical simulations by considering an incident plane wave. Electric field and current definitions are rather used when you really mean it. For eg., if you consider a boundary to be hooked at some definite electric field or current value, then use the corresponding boundary condition. Otherwise, it is generally going to give you a lot of unlikely results.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 13, 2012, 5:16 p.m. EST

I am a new player in Comsol 4.0.

My question is : How to creat ideal TE plane wave in Comsol 4.0 RF module?
How can we know the wave produced is an TE plane wave?

I tried three methods as mentioned in several models: electric field boundary condition, surface current density boundary condition and scattering boundary condition. But I don't know whether I have obtained the ideal TE plane wave? (the attached image is produced by using the electric filed boundary condition: set Ez=1; Ex=0;Ey=0).

Is it wrong or not?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Jia Xiang,

How did you generate a plane wave by surface current? I simply add a number at Jx and it will generate a plane wave propagating in z direction. But I don't know what is the wavelength of the wave...
[QUOTE] I am a new player in Comsol 4.0. My question is : How to creat ideal TE plane wave in Comsol 4.0 RF module? How can we know the wave produced is an TE plane wave? I tried three methods as mentioned in several models: electric field boundary condition, surface current density boundary condition and scattering boundary condition. But I don't know whether I have obtained the ideal TE plane wave? (the attached image is produced by using the electric filed boundary condition: set Ez=1; Ex=0;Ey=0). Is it wrong or not? Thanks in advance! [/QUOTE] Hi Jia Xiang, How did you generate a plane wave by surface current? I simply add a number at Jx and it will generate a plane wave propagating in z direction. But I don't know what is the wavelength of the wave...

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 14, 2012, 4:58 a.m. EST
Most of the time when you need to set a perfect incident plane wave, you will want to use the "scattered-field formulation" in version 3.5a, which is now the option of "Solving for: Scattered field". Then you can specify the background electric field, i.e., the incident wave.
Most of the time when you need to set a perfect incident plane wave, you will want to use the "scattered-field formulation" in version 3.5a, which is now the option of "Solving for: Scattered field". Then you can specify the background electric field, i.e., the incident wave.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.