Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

TM wave generation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I would like to generate a TM wave in a volume. Imagine a rectangle box which it's top surface emits an electric field with a determinate frequency. Somewhere in this rectangle box there is an object which interferes with this electric field.

How can I generate this type of wave?

I've tried using PML around the box and a scattering boundary condition with and incident electric field of E0z=1 on the top surface. But it doesn't seem to work.

Can anybody give me a hand with that?

Thanks & have fun!

3 Replies Last Post Jul 22, 2010, 6:52 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 22, 2010, 3:06 a.m. EDT
Hi

I would start looking at the Floquet periodic boundary conditions

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would start looking at the Floquet periodic boundary conditions -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 22, 2010, 5:24 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

Thanks for your answer.

From de doc I found this: "Floquet periodicity—There is a phase shift between the tangential components. The phase shift is determined by a wave vector and the distance between the source and destination. Floquet periodicity is typically used for models involving plane waves interacting with periodic structures."

But my model doesn't have a periodic structure. I want to simulate the effects produced on a charged structure due to the influence of an electric field

Any other tips that I can use?

Have fun comsoling!
Hi Ivar, Thanks for your answer. From de doc I found this: "Floquet periodicity—There is a phase shift between the tangential components. The phase shift is determined by a wave vector and the distance between the source and destination. Floquet periodicity is typically used for models involving plane waves interacting with periodic structures." But my model doesn't have a periodic structure. I want to simulate the effects produced on a charged structure due to the influence of an electric field Any other tips that I can use? Have fun comsoling!

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 22, 2010, 6:52 a.m. EDT
Hi

I agree, partly, as 0 phase difference remains for me a Floquet, but that's a definition issue and can be discussed. Personally, I use them also for non periodic wave interaction, for me it remains a useful way to get 3D plane waves in a limited volume with or without periodic structures to be studied

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I agree, partly, as 0 phase difference remains for me a Floquet, but that's a definition issue and can be discussed. Personally, I use them also for non periodic wave interaction, for me it remains a useful way to get 3D plane waves in a limited volume with or without periodic structures to be studied -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.