Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have defined tw0 geometry and I assigned acoustic module to one geometry and structural mechanic module to another geometry. I used Extrusion coupling variable to couple two geometry by defining w and wtt as displacement and acceleration respectively. i selected every geometry with structural mechanic module first and I related w and wtt to it and then i selected another geometry with acoustic module and assigned p as pressure. but when I put wtt as inward acceleration it becomes red. i changed it to w_tt but still red? do anyone has any suggestion
Thanks

3 Replies Last Post Jul 22, 2010, 6:46 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 22, 2010, 3:10 a.m. EDT
Hi

normally red (in 3.5a) means bad units, but also in 3.5 not all units are passed through the operators (i.e. coupling variables), "red" is a warning, not as such an error, so if your are sure the units are still OK just ignore it

In v4 the units are better passing through the operators, still not everywhere in 4.0a, probably there in 4.1. And I believe I have noticed "two" red, one intense for formula errors, and an orange for units warnings (but now I'm not sure, but could be usefull to distinguish
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi normally red (in 3.5a) means bad units, but also in 3.5 not all units are passed through the operators (i.e. coupling variables), "red" is a warning, not as such an error, so if your are sure the units are still OK just ignore it In v4 the units are better passing through the operators, still not everywhere in 4.0a, probably there in 4.1. And I believe I have noticed "two" red, one intense for formula errors, and an orange for units warnings (but now I'm not sure, but could be usefull to distinguish -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 22, 2010, 4:32 a.m. EDT
Ivar Thank you,
I checked the units and it was Ok. However the program runs...
Is it necessary to couple CO(objects) in one geometry to each other ? Or it is better to create a separate geometry for every object and then couple them to each another?
Does coupling use only for objects in different geometries or it is necessary to couple objects in one geometry also?

Thank you very much!
Ivar Thank you, I checked the units and it was Ok. However the program runs... Is it necessary to couple CO(objects) in one geometry to each other ? Or it is better to create a separate geometry for every object and then couple them to each another? Does coupling use only for objects in different geometries or it is necessary to couple objects in one geometry also? Thank you very much!

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 22, 2010, 6:46 a.m. EDT
Hi

As I said red = units warning, not necesarily errors, and the system solves, but wuld come out with wrong values/results if you have wrong units

Coupling varables can be used on same or different geometries / physics. The main differences for me is weither everything is one big coupled matrix, or two or more separate systems (= usually quicker solving)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi As I said red = units warning, not necesarily errors, and the system solves, but wuld come out with wrong values/results if you have wrong units Coupling varables can be used on same or different geometries / physics. The main differences for me is weither everything is one big coupled matrix, or two or more separate systems (= usually quicker solving) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.