Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problems while converting M-files in comsol 3.5a to comsol 4.0a

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

When I tried to convert M-files from COMSOL 3.5a to COMSOL 4.0a, the syntax is entirely changed since the new code is model object method.But I cannot edit the variables in the new program because it creates some binary files (.mphbin files). So is there any way to use the new M-file more effectively, in a way without generating this binary files so that I can edit it easily. Otherwise I need to rewrite all the codings. Expecting a quick reply.

Thanks & Regards
Noel

3 Replies Last Post Aug 4, 2010, 10:48 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 3, 2010, 5:11 p.m. EDT
I have the same problem. Help would be greatly appreciated.
I have the same problem. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 4, 2010, 1:44 a.m. EDT
Hi

for me the nphbin were also often created in 3.5 if you hit the file>reset model. and then I gave up to get back the solids as individual parts (you can still load them in and use them or add items to them)

In general I study the way V4 translates V3.5 files, but I always restart m models from scratch in V4. And I agree I have still to learn (again) the new syntax of the new V4 matlab I/F (and my clients are not paying me for that, unfortunately that seems to be the price to pay for most software today ;(

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi for me the nphbin were also often created in 3.5 if you hit the file>reset model. and then I gave up to get back the solids as individual parts (you can still load them in and use them or add items to them) In general I study the way V4 translates V3.5 files, but I always restart m models from scratch in V4. And I agree I have still to learn (again) the new syntax of the new V4 matlab I/F (and my clients are not paying me for that, unfortunately that seems to be the price to pay for most software today ;( -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 4, 2010, 10:48 a.m. EDT
Hello

So it means the best way is to program it again ?
I already started programming with the new syntaxes and it works well for me. The new syntax is more Java based but the help files are pretty good enough to program it in V4.
Thanks
Noel
Hello So it means the best way is to program it again ? I already started programming with the new syntaxes and it works well for me. The new syntax is more Java based but the help files are pretty good enough to program it in V4. Thanks Noel

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.