Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

# degrees of freedom in truss interface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I´m starting to work with matlab + comsol. In order to do some practice, I simulated a simple 2D truss structure (see attached file) and I got surprised by the "degrees of freedom solved for" in COMSOL. As it has only one mesh-element per node and a total of 5 nodes, I was expecting to have 5 nodes * 2 dof / node = 10 dof. But COMSOL is solving for 22 dof's.

Does anyone can help me understand what are these extra dof's?

Thanks in advance,
Andre

1 Reply Last Post Jul 29, 2010, 5:45 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 29, 2010, 5:45 p.m. EDT
Hi,

I think I figured out this question. By default COMSOL uses quadratic shlag elements and that's why I got more dof than I was expecting.

After reading the folowing post:

www.comsol.co.in/community/forums/general/thread/5351/

I learned how to change the element order to 1 (linear) and by doing so I finally got a total of 10 dof, which allows me to compare the results with my analytical solution.

Thanks,
Hi, I think I figured out this question. By default COMSOL uses quadratic shlag elements and that's why I got more dof than I was expecting. After reading the folowing post: http://www.comsol.co.in/community/forums/general/thread/5351/ I learned how to change the element order to 1 (linear) and by doing so I finally got a total of 10 dof, which allows me to compare the results with my analytical solution. Thanks,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.