Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

question about 2D magnetostatic problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I am trying to figure out how to add a vertical uniform magnetic bias field to a 2d magnetic simulation. I am using V4.0 and have a rectangular space with relative permittivity and relative permeability both equal to 1. With all other elements inactive, I tried adding what I thought would be a uniform vertical field. (under Magnetic fields --> Magnetic field1 (boundary) I set H_0_y = 1 A/m for both vertical edges of rectangular space. The resulting arrow plot of the filed (or field density) is not uniform and not vertical. Does anyone have an idea of how to get what I want. I've attached a simple file that I am working on now.
Thanks

1 Reply Last Post Jul 29, 2010, 5:35 p.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 29, 2010, 5:35 p.m. EDT
Ok, Well I posted this question and then I figured out the answer, so I suppose it is my responsibility to answer my own post.
Although I had applied a constant field on the left and right boundaries, the top and bottom boundaries were still set as magnetic insulation. When I changed these to fields instead of insulation, I got the uniform vertical bias field that I was hoping for. Incidentally, I also got an error message when I solved the problem; something about sol1/s1. I enclosed the whole problem in a box where the edges of the box were set to magnetic insulation and that seemed to fix the problem.
Ok, Well I posted this question and then I figured out the answer, so I suppose it is my responsibility to answer my own post. Although I had applied a constant field on the left and right boundaries, the top and bottom boundaries were still set as magnetic insulation. When I changed these to fields instead of insulation, I got the uniform vertical bias field that I was hoping for. Incidentally, I also got an error message when I solved the problem; something about sol1/s1. I enclosed the whole problem in a box where the edges of the box were set to magnetic insulation and that seemed to fix the problem.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.