Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

parmetrized geometry useless with export import

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I define my model geometry with various parameters to which I give values.
When I modify a parameter, my geometry is modified correctly.
This is a great feature. But....
I want to place this same geometry in a second model.
I export all of the geometry (I tried the 2 options I could find,entire geometry or selected elements).
when I import it in model2, I get a completely static geometry corresponding to the values of my parameters.
If I modify one of the parameters (some length) model one is change, but model 2 remains unchanged.

This means every time I want to modify a parameter, I need to export again. Useless!!

Does anyone know how to export import or some equivalent operation keeping the parameters available?

thanks for your help

11 Replies Last Post Nov 10, 2010, 8:30 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 3, 2010, 5:17 a.m. EDT
Hi

first of all in which version ? Use the Forum tags when you create your entry it then easier for us out here to understand.

As you talk about a "copy" I assume it's in 3.5. There, not all features are compatible with parametric geometries. The best is to check your "m" format file or in the history to see what COMSOl really did for your copy, most probably it copied the values of your parameters that is why these are fixed, so you might need to retype some of the equations.

Anyhow true parametric geoemtry is only available correctly in V4 (but there the cut&paste is not yet implemented, will come soon we have been promished)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi first of all in which version ? Use the Forum tags when you create your entry it then easier for us out here to understand. As you talk about a "copy" I assume it's in 3.5. There, not all features are compatible with parametric geometries. The best is to check your "m" format file or in the history to see what COMSOl really did for your copy, most probably it copied the values of your parameters that is why these are fixed, so you might need to retype some of the equations. Anyhow true parametric geoemtry is only available correctly in V4 (but there the cut&paste is not yet implemented, will come soon we have been promished) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 3, 2010, 5:27 a.m. EDT
Sorry. I am trying to use 4.0a.
when I use transform then copy. I get a static copy.
When I use export import, the resulting object is no longer parametrized.

So you say, it is avalable in 4.0. This is what I understood.
But you also say, it does not work yet...
thanks for reading anyway.
Sorry. I am trying to use 4.0a. when I use transform then copy. I get a static copy. When I use export import, the resulting object is no longer parametrized. So you say, it is avalable in 4.0. This is what I understood. But you also say, it does not work yet... thanks for reading anyway.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 3, 2010, 8:20 a.m. EDT
Bonjour

If it's V4 I wuld suggest that you also take a few moments to document your case and send it to Comsol support, as these people are updating the programme quite extensively, and that from what I understand your demand is rather useful for all of us, it would be nice if this was implemented. As V4 is really for parametrized geometry (and I intend also to use it this way extensively) having the possibility to generate multiple copies of a geoemtry (even parametrtized) should be there

--
Good luck
Ivar (CSEM-ch)
Bonjour If it's V4 I wuld suggest that you also take a few moments to document your case and send it to Comsol support, as these people are updating the programme quite extensively, and that from what I understand your demand is rather useful for all of us, it would be nice if this was implemented. As V4 is really for parametrized geometry (and I intend also to use it this way extensively) having the possibility to generate multiple copies of a geoemtry (even parametrtized) should be there -- Good luck Ivar (CSEM-ch)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 3, 2010, 9:52 a.m. EDT
Thanks for your reply.
i have sent a request for support for that matter.
Practically no need to document.
If one makes a rectangle of size mywidth, mylength, then an export of that give you an import a fixed size unfortuantely not modifiable rectangle.
Same thing if you do a copy. The copy cannot be edited. Note that copies made in 3.5a could be edited....

all of this needs to be improved a lot.
Thanks for your reply. i have sent a request for support for that matter. Practically no need to document. If one makes a rectangle of size mywidth, mylength, then an export of that give you an import a fixed size unfortuantely not modifiable rectangle. Same thing if you do a copy. The copy cannot be edited. Note that copies made in 3.5a could be edited.... all of this needs to be improved a lot.

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 3, 2010, 10:09 a.m. EDT
re-Bonjour

Well I still like better the new V4 approach, but I agree COMSOL has still many things to improve, but the doamin is overhelming broad (I'm playing with at least 6-7 physics, not all at the same time though, a few years ago I didnt even dream this would be possible within "my time" ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
re-Bonjour Well I still like better the new V4 approach, but I agree COMSOL has still many things to improve, but the doamin is overhelming broad (I'm playing with at least 6-7 physics, not all at the same time though, a few years ago I didnt even dream this would be possible within "my time" ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 3, 2010, 10:18 a.m. EDT
I am not denying the value of the new approach.
I feel it has indeed a lot of potential.
The problem is every time I turn around and try to do something productive, I hit a wall because the feature I need is not yet implemented.
Not being able to copy paste a parametrized geometry, I thought I would print a report that would give me the expressions for the size of every object.
I cannot find out if I can print a report with that info. I believe I cannot.

It should be possible to include in a report anything pertinent to provide info about the model.
Here i cannot even print the properties of a domain to show that I have used the right values.... or at least see what values i used for a material.
do you know how to print a somewhat complete report??
thanks

I am not denying the value of the new approach. I feel it has indeed a lot of potential. The problem is every time I turn around and try to do something productive, I hit a wall because the feature I need is not yet implemented. Not being able to copy paste a parametrized geometry, I thought I would print a report that would give me the expressions for the size of every object. I cannot find out if I can print a report with that info. I believe I cannot. It should be possible to include in a report anything pertinent to provide info about the model. Here i cannot even print the properties of a domain to show that I have used the right values.... or at least see what values i used for a material. do you know how to print a somewhat complete report?? thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 4, 2010, 1:29 a.m. EDT
Hi

I believe its not yet implemented in V4, what I do to preserve some overview is to hit (when I'm convinced I have a valid file and do no longer need the history)

a) File>Reset
b) then I save the file as a "m" file,
c) then I resave the file as a "mph"

the latter to reset COMSOl into default "mph" mode because a "m" file cannot be read without the matlab I believe (havent checked with 4.0a)

The "m" file contains then te essentials

For your parametrisation I suppose you are currently stuck using the Matlab interface, personally I use SolidWorks where I have all geometrical functions and then I use either a Parasolid .x_t or .x_b file format, or I use the LiveLlink the latter for parameter exchange, it works nicely

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe its not yet implemented in V4, what I do to preserve some overview is to hit (when I'm convinced I have a valid file and do no longer need the history) a) File>Reset b) then I save the file as a "m" file, c) then I resave the file as a "mph" the latter to reset COMSOl into default "mph" mode because a "m" file cannot be read without the matlab I believe (havent checked with 4.0a) The "m" file contains then te essentials For your parametrisation I suppose you are currently stuck using the Matlab interface, personally I use SolidWorks where I have all geometrical functions and then I use either a Parasolid .x_t or .x_b file format, or I use the LiveLlink the latter for parameter exchange, it works nicely -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 4, 2010, 2:24 a.m. EDT
Well. Thanks again.
I am not stuck with Matlab. I do not have Matlab. In fact, I have nothing else but COMSOL. all these other programs are too costly for the company I consult with. COMSOL is already pretty expensive by itself.
But thanks.
the reports generated by 3.5a where useful even if a bit bulky.

Well. Thanks again. I am not stuck with Matlab. I do not have Matlab. In fact, I have nothing else but COMSOL. all these other programs are too costly for the company I consult with. COMSOL is already pretty expensive by itself. But thanks. the reports generated by 3.5a where useful even if a bit bulky.

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 4, 2010, 3:16 a.m. EDT
Hi

Well price is a question of what to compare too if you compare COMSOL to other FEM tools it's rather "cheap" (but do not tell them ;)
On the other hand you ideally need both matlab, solidworks, and I woulds day maple (as an analytical tool for validation) in addition to COMSOL + a good access to a library service, when you add all this up + the hardware, OS and office + maintenances you get easily to the salary of a full time person. Now who i paying us 2.5-3 salaries (1 for me +1 for the tools +0.5-1 for the company) for 1 person/consultant ?

in fact nobody out there.

I feel that many software companies believes that their tools does everything nothing else is needed, this is not the case so currently I'm rather pleased with COMSOL like this I can still justify my job. But I could never start as an independent consultant, too expensive

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Well price is a question of what to compare too if you compare COMSOL to other FEM tools it's rather "cheap" (but do not tell them ;) On the other hand you ideally need both matlab, solidworks, and I woulds day maple (as an analytical tool for validation) in addition to COMSOL + a good access to a library service, when you add all this up + the hardware, OS and office + maintenances you get easily to the salary of a full time person. Now who i paying us 2.5-3 salaries (1 for me +1 for the tools +0.5-1 for the company) for 1 person/consultant ? in fact nobody out there. I feel that many software companies believes that their tools does everything nothing else is needed, this is not the case so currently I'm rather pleased with COMSOL like this I can still justify my job. But I could never start as an independent consultant, too expensive -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 10, 2010, 6:04 a.m. EST
Hi there,

I need to come back to this topic as I have similar problems.

I created a parametrized geometry in Workplane1 (membrane, supported by beams) and would like to copy the geometry to a second (or more) Workplane in order to create stacked layers of that geometry (with different materials and thicknesses).

As Ivar said:

"As V4 is really for parametrized geometry (and I intend also to use it this way extensively) having the possibility to generate multiple copies of a geoemtry (even parametrtized) should be there."

Has anyone found a solution yet?
Hi there, I need to come back to this topic as I have similar problems. I created a parametrized geometry in Workplane1 (membrane, supported by beams) and would like to copy the geometry to a second (or more) Workplane in order to create stacked layers of that geometry (with different materials and thicknesses). As Ivar said: "As V4 is really for parametrized geometry (and I intend also to use it this way extensively) having the possibility to generate multiple copies of a geoemtry (even parametrtized) should be there." Has anyone found a solution yet?

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 10, 2010, 8:30 a.m. EST
Hi

have you tried the array operation ? (that can also be parametrized), it's there in 4.1

but there is no "rotation array" function, only a linear in X, Y, Z or combination thereof (or is it possible to make a circular rotation like that ?) if so an example would be handy

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you tried the array operation ? (that can also be parametrized), it's there in 4.1 but there is no "rotation array" function, only a linear in X, Y, Z or combination thereof (or is it possible to make a circular rotation like that ?) if so an example would be handy -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.