Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

visible deformations in wrench

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear stuff of COMSOL,

Maybe my question will be very simple, but I can not see the deformations in wrench, if I apply different forces. I am using the file model file downloaded COMSOL webpage - wrench.mph, where I added auxiliary sweep with step of 20[N], and with range from 0 to 150[N]. So when run the compute, I don't obtain any differences of structure deformations, when the forces are different...
Unfortunately I can not attach the file, it is more than the allowed size.

Your answer will be much appreciated.

Best Regards
Ashot

2 Replies Last Post Jun 23, 2015, 6:55 p.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 23, 2015, 2:52 p.m. EDT
Hello Ashot,

In many applications, structural deformations are smaller than the human eye can detect so COMSOL scales them up so they become noticeable. The scaling factor is automatically computed to make those deformations noticeable but not overwhelming.

So when you solve the wrench model with different loads the software will depict the deformations using different scaling factors leading to the erroneous impression that those deformations are the same in all cases. The model being linear, the deformations are of course proportional to the loading. To see that on screen, set a fixed scaling factor instead of the automatic one. This is done on the "Deformation" node in your plot.

Best regards,
Jeff

PS: To reduce model size so you can post it to the Discussion Forum, you can clear the mesh and solution using the buttons for that purpose in the Mesh ribbon and Study ribbon.
Hello Ashot, In many applications, structural deformations are smaller than the human eye can detect so COMSOL scales them up so they become noticeable. The scaling factor is automatically computed to make those deformations noticeable but not overwhelming. So when you solve the wrench model with different loads the software will depict the deformations using different scaling factors leading to the erroneous impression that those deformations are the same in all cases. The model being linear, the deformations are of course proportional to the loading. To see that on screen, set a fixed scaling factor instead of the automatic one. This is done on the "Deformation" node in your plot. Best regards, Jeff PS: To reduce model size so you can post it to the Discussion Forum, you can clear the mesh and solution using the buttons for that purpose in the Mesh ribbon and Study ribbon.

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 23, 2015, 6:55 p.m. EDT
Dear Jeff Hiller,

Thanks a lot for the response, now everything works fine!

Best Regards
Ashot
Dear Jeff Hiller, Thanks a lot for the response, now everything works fine! Best Regards Ashot

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.