Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D-Plot of a one-dimensional transient solution

Michael Rembe Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey,

I'm looking for a possibility to create a 2D-plot (surface) of a one-dimensional temperature distribution over time. The time is at the x-axis, the spatial coordinate z is at the y axis. The colored surface shows temperature distribution T=f(t,z) over time.

Is there any idea?

Best regards,

Michael

4 Replies Last Post Jul 1, 2015, 5:47 a.m. EDT
Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Jul 1, 2015, 2:59 a.m. EDT
You can get the plot with the axes reversed:

- Results > Data Sets > More Data Sets: Create Parametric Extrusion 1D

- Results: Create 2D Plot Group and set its Data set to the parametric extrusion data set.

- Add a surface plot to the plot group and set Expression to T.

The data set contains settings for e.g. how the time axis is scaled in relation to the spatial axis.
You can get the plot with the axes reversed: - Results > Data Sets > More Data Sets: Create Parametric Extrusion 1D - Results: Create 2D Plot Group and set its Data set to the parametric extrusion data set. - Add a surface plot to the plot group and set Expression to T. The data set contains settings for e.g. how the time axis is scaled in relation to the spatial axis.

Posted: 9 years ago Jul 1, 2015, 5:07 a.m. EDT
Hey Gunnar,

thank you very much for your hints. The 1D parametric extrusion works and I understand it. But how can I switch the axes in the view? In my 1D model the x axis is in reality the z axis and in the 1D plots I switch the axes using the expression filed for the x-axis.

In the 2D plot of the 1D parametric extrusion the time is at the y axis, it should be at the x axis. I think the only way is to define a view, but by this way I can't define the axis.

Best regards,

Michael

Hey Gunnar, thank you very much for your hints. The 1D parametric extrusion works and I understand it. But how can I switch the axes in the view? In my 1D model the x axis is in reality the z axis and in the 1D plots I switch the axes using the expression filed for the x-axis. In the 2D plot of the 1D parametric extrusion the time is at the y axis, it should be at the x axis. I think the only way is to define a view, but by this way I can't define the axis. Best regards, Michael

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Jul 1, 2015, 5:28 a.m. EDT
But how can I switch the axes in the view?

You can't switch the axes in the view. I can't come up with any easy way of achieving the effect that you want. A complicated workaround is to do the following:

- Create a Sector 2D data set that points to the parametric extrusion data set.

- Set Number of sectors to 4, Sectors to include to Manual, Start sector to 1, and Number of sectors to include to 1.

- Create a Mirror 2D data set that points to the sector data set.

- Expand the Advanced section and check Define variables.

- Create a 2D plot group that points to the mirror data set. Add a surface plot with the expression if(mir1side==0, T, NaN).

[QUOTE]But how can I switch the axes in the view?[/QUOTE] You can't switch the axes in the view. I can't come up with any easy way of achieving the effect that you want. A complicated workaround is to do the following: - Create a Sector 2D data set that points to the parametric extrusion data set. - Set Number of sectors to 4, Sectors to include to Manual, Start sector to 1, and Number of sectors to include to 1. - Create a Mirror 2D data set that points to the sector data set. - Expand the Advanced section and check Define variables. - Create a 2D plot group that points to the mirror data set. Add a surface plot with the expression if(mir1side==0, T, NaN).

Posted: 9 years ago Jul 1, 2015, 5:47 a.m. EDT
Hey Gunnar,

thanks a lot!! It works perfectly!!

Best regards

Michael
Hey Gunnar, thanks a lot!! It works perfectly!! Best regards Michael

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.