Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Building a system to run COMSOL Multiphysics with Heat Module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I'm building a lab in my university and I will buy/build a workstation to run COMSOL Multiphysics with Heat Transfer Module. I have a low bugdet right now so I should decide really carefully about my system components. I have a couple of questions about this case:

I will either buy a Intel Xeon E5-1620 v3 processor or Intel i7-5930K processor but I can't decide which one to get. Does it really make a difference to buy a less powerfull Xeon processor then a more powerfull i7 processor since Xeon processors are solely dedicated to workstations?

Both of these systems will run with 32 GB (4x8 GB) DDR4 RAM. (I can upgrade it to 64 GB in the future) But Xeon one has ECC RAMs and i7 has non-ECC ones. What is the importance of ECC technology in running heat transfer simulations, in our case COMSOL? (since ECC RAMs are more expensive)

My last question is about graphics card. What is the importance of graphics card to run COMSOL Heat Transfer Simulations? Do I need an advanced card such as nVidia Quadro series or a medium level standard card would be enough for my requirements?

I would be glad if you can help me with these issues.

Thank you for your cooperation,
Dogacan Kara

0 Replies Last Post Jul 2, 2015, 10:08 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Dogacan Kara

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.