Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3.5a Free Mesh (Swept) Error: Source and target face must be specified

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm trying to model a thin membrane which displaces under Electromagnetic force. I am coupling the three physics applications:

Solid, Stress-Strain (smsld)
Moving Mesh (ALE)
Electrostatics (es)

I believe I must use 3D Solid, Stress-Strain for this model (and not Shell mode) because I need to see a 3D object's deformation. I hope my aspect ratio isn't too large for the job.

I'm ready to solve my model, all I need is to generate a proper mesh, and I'm trying to use Free Mesh, then sweeping the Free mesh, but I'm getting an error:

Source and target face must be specified
- Subdomain: 2

Does anybody know what this explicitly means, and what I should try to do to fix this?

I've attached the model I'm working on.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Kevin

1 Reply Last Post Aug 24, 2010, 3:21 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 24, 2010, 3:21 a.m. EDT
Hi

I have no time to open the model just now, but this error mostly appears if the topology of the surface is not "simple" you are also limited in the number of subsurfaces on the destination = one but you can have several on the source.

This is why I mostly "cut" my sweep surfaces with interiour boundaries such that they are more or less simple block (with no holes)

Meshing is more an art that science, try it out on simple geoemtries to you get used to the limitations. For high aspect ratio shapes you have also the "scaling" option (multiply one direction by a scaling factor, mesh it and then reduce the size by 1/scale your mesh becomes distorted, but you can then get a more homogenious number of elements across thin features
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I have no time to open the model just now, but this error mostly appears if the topology of the surface is not "simple" you are also limited in the number of subsurfaces on the destination = one but you can have several on the source. This is why I mostly "cut" my sweep surfaces with interiour boundaries such that they are more or less simple block (with no holes) Meshing is more an art that science, try it out on simple geoemtries to you get used to the limitations. For high aspect ratio shapes you have also the "scaling" option (multiply one direction by a scaling factor, mesh it and then reduce the size by 1/scale your mesh becomes distorted, but you can then get a more homogenious number of elements across thin features -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.