Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Trouble with pressure wave input (Acoustic Module: Transient Analysis)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have constructed a 1D model of a pressure wave propogating in the positive direction and then reflecting off the boundary.

To supply the pressure wave, I have used the radiation condition with a pressure that is dependent on time and is defined as:

p_in = p0*cos(k*x-omega*t)

p0- inlet pressure amplitude (2 Pa), k-wave number, omega-angular frequency

My issue is that the pressure wave actually supplied varies with an amplitude 0 < A < 4. I was expecting the pressure amplitude to vary as -2 < A < 2...

Is there a simple explanation for this?

I have attached to file for reference.

Thank you,

-Jon

1 Reply Last Post Nov 25, 2010, 3:23 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jonathan MacDonald

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 25, 2010, 3:23 p.m. EST
Have you thought about the standing wave? I mean since you applied the boundary condition as reflecting on one end, you'd get constructive wave which doubles the amplitude.
Have you thought about the standing wave? I mean since you applied the boundary condition as reflecting on one end, you'd get constructive wave which doubles the amplitude.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.