Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Previous Solution Node is not working with Fluid flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody

I'm currently trying to simulate the evaporation von water out of meat during a vacuum-packaging process.

I'm using Comsol 5.0. The fluid flow in the chamber is simulated with a turbulent k-e physics. The vapour is modelled with a transport of diluted species. I also have heat transfer physics in the air domain and in the "meat".

My problem is, that I cannot couple the calculated evaporation into the fluid flow. I used an "Inlet" BC and inserted the evaporation mass flux, but this model does not find initial conditions. So I'm missing the additional flow due to the evaporation.
Is there an easy possibility to get this to work? (Attached File: "evaporation_BC")

Then I tried to use the "Previous Solution Node" as described here: www.comsol.com/blogs/using-the-previous-solution-operator-in-transient-modeling/
I want to use the evaporation massflux from the previous time step, to insert it into the "Inlet" BC in the fluid flow. This should in my opinion benefit the solver because the coupling gets eased.
I could implement it and it is converging.

The problem is, that the BC with the value of the previous time step is not doing anything in the fluid flow. I see no difference in the solution whether I activate or deactivate this BC. Furthermore, the value of the previous time step (in my file “u2”) is changing whether I use the value furthermore or if I just calculate it and do not use it. (The value “u2” is correct if do not use it but horribly wrong if I use it. Have a look at the plot “Prev Time step vs actual value” in the model: “previous_solution”)
I have no problem using the value in other physics (for example the “heat transfer”), the problem only occurs if I use it in the fluid flow.

I would appreciate it if someone could help me with my first or my second problem.
Thank you, Seraphin

0 Replies Last Post Oct 30, 2015, 8:57 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Seraphin Vetter

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.