Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

piezo electric transducer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hey ,i'm doing engineering.And i have been working on an idea which involves piezo electric transducers.
And i have a few doubts:
1. does the charge get stored on the surface of the transducer or not? If yes,can we be able to transfer the charge from the transducer .
2.is it possible to manufacture a transducer in any shape..like a shoe sole ..??

I would be really glad if i could get some useful intel on these things and qucick..
Thanks guys

2 Replies Last Post Apr 11, 2017, 2:57 p.m. EDT

Posted: 8 years ago Dec 21, 2015, 7:36 a.m. EST
Hi Manoj Kumaran,

1. Piezoelectric materials are insulator. If you put an electrode on top and on the bottom it's in principle a capacitor. If you excite them mechanically you can 'harvest' electrical energy.

2. Yes, why not? However, the shape will influence the modes you can excite.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Nicolas
Hi Manoj Kumaran, 1. Piezoelectric materials are insulator. If you put an electrode on top and on the bottom it's in principle a capacitor. If you excite them mechanically you can 'harvest' electrical energy. 2. Yes, why not? However, the shape will influence the modes you can excite. Hope this helps. Best, Nicolas

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 11, 2017, 2:57 p.m. EDT
Hi,

Maybe my question is not exactly related to the previous discussion.

I want to model an ultrasound transducer. I would like to know how can I set my piezoelectric piece that emits waves only in one direction (let's say +Z) and no output in the -Z.
My piezoelectric piece is on the border of my domain. it means there is nothing underneath my piezoelectric and I have a column of water above it.

I really appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Hi, Maybe my question is not exactly related to the previous discussion. I want to model an ultrasound transducer. I would like to know how can I set my piezoelectric piece that emits waves only in one direction (let's say +Z) and no output in the -Z. My piezoelectric piece is on the border of my domain. it means there is nothing underneath my piezoelectric and I have a column of water above it. I really appreciate any help. Thanks,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.