Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Escape Radius/Velocities of Particle flowing in a past a T-junction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model an automated syringe(100um) sampling out 45um particles as they slowly flow through a channel about 1cm in diameter. I would like to know what is the effective area in which I can apply a negative flow rate or pressure to the syringe, a particle flowing past might be pulled up.

[Attached]: Model Diagram

1 Reply Last Post Jan 4, 2016, 5:11 a.m. EST
Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago Jan 4, 2016, 5:11 a.m. EST
Hi Moaraj,

I don't know how deep you are already in COMSOL, but to get started with what you are trying to achieve I would recommend the following tutorial:

ch.comsol.com/model/flow-past-a-cylinder-97

You may adjust the dimensions and flow rate to your needs. and add a second outlet. I would recommend starting in 2D first and when you have a good understanding about the type of your flow regime, upgrade to a full 3D model.

Best regards,
Sven
Hi Moaraj, I don't know how deep you are already in COMSOL, but to get started with what you are trying to achieve I would recommend the following tutorial: https://ch.comsol.com/model/flow-past-a-cylinder-97 You may adjust the dimensions and flow rate to your needs. and add a second outlet. I would recommend starting in 2D first and when you have a good understanding about the type of your flow regime, upgrade to a full 3D model. Best regards, Sven

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.