Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Accessing Material Properties outside of Material Node

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I'm working with variable material properties and I also need to use these material properties to further define other variables and boundary conditions.
I'm specifically working with steam and the Heat Transfer Physics interface.
by using: mat.def.Cp and material.Cp I am perfectly able to access these values outside the materials node.
HOWEVER
If i try to do the same thing for the thermal conductivity it doesn't work. I tried mat.def.k, material.k, material.kii and several other crazy possibilities!!!!
I found a way around it which was using the name of the variable in the physics interface, the one where COMSOL maps the material properties (e.g. ht.kxx)...but I am unsure as to which temperature is being used to define this k, the one from the domain tgoverning that physics? or the one I defined in the material node?
I would like to know is there is a way for calling the thermal conductivity the same way I did the others: mat.def.Cp, mat.def.rho..
etc...
Is it possible?

1 Reply Last Post Feb 28, 2013, 7:08 a.m. EST
Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 28, 2013, 7:08 a.m. EST
Hi,

Use mat1.def.k11, mat1.def.k22, etc. for a Material node called mat1. There are a total of 9 components for a general 3D thermal conductivity tensor, mat1.def.kij, where i and j run from 1 to 3. For an isotropic thermal conductivity k, mat1.def.k11, k22, and k33 are all equal to k, and the other "off-diagonal" components are zero.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, Use mat1.def.k11, mat1.def.k22, etc. for a Material node called mat1. There are a total of 9 components for a general 3D thermal conductivity tensor, mat1.def.kij, where i and j run from 1 to 3. For an isotropic thermal conductivity k, mat1.def.k11, k22, and k33 are all equal to k, and the other "off-diagonal" components are zero. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.