Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Induction Heating of an Iron block

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am looking for some help in setting up an induction heating simulation

I have constructed a 1/2" thick, piece of iron which is 4" tall by 6" long. I need to simulate the effects of induction heating on the block. In my real life experimental setup I have taken the coil out of an simple commercially available induction heater (made normally for cooking rice) and place it underneath the bottom of the iron piece which I heat up with the inductive heater. The magnet field through the coil is oscillating with a frequency of 60hz and I have been successful in heating up the chuck temperature to about 600C. However I need to get a better insight into how well the block is heated by the inductive heater.

So my problem is that I have so far been unable to setup a COMSOL simulation where I can induce an oscillating magnetic field that is perpendicular to the bottom of the iron chuck. I have been trying to use transient simulations where I define a function that emulates the 60hz sinusoidal behavior of the magnetic field. Any help would be useful such as how I can couple the induction to cause heating in the iron.

1 Reply Last Post Nov 5, 2010, 8:59 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 5, 2010, 8:59 a.m. EDT
Hi

I believe you should use the harmonic sovler approach, look it up in the doc (and not the time resolved solver)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe you should use the harmonic sovler approach, look it up in the doc (and not the time resolved solver) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.