Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What's the meaning of "topology changes"?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

As I read the comsol examples, i saw an sentance, "The level set method as well as the phase field method are both well suited for modeling moving boundaries where topology changes occur", i don't know the definition of "topology changes", at which situation, we can consider that the topology changes occur? Thank you!

1 Reply Last Post Dec 3, 2010, 1:33 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 3, 2010, 1:33 a.m. EST
Hi

Check on Wiki for "topology".
Basically its the fact that your geometry changes i.e. number of domains and boundaries, this might happen when you have contact of structures in a fluid, the fluid domain dissapears between the two parts in contact, this is a topology change (number of geometrical domains and boundaries and their respective loops changes => entity renumbering.

The "level set method" is stating that a "material" boundary (i.e. fluid inside another fluid) is defined by a bolean equation related to the space coordinates. One limitation with this method: you define a physics for one domain, so the different materials you define in this domain must use the SAME physics (i.e. structural and fluids do not basically use the same physics, but in some cases you can live with the approximation solid structure = fluid physics)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Check on Wiki for "topology". Basically its the fact that your geometry changes i.e. number of domains and boundaries, this might happen when you have contact of structures in a fluid, the fluid domain dissapears between the two parts in contact, this is a topology change (number of geometrical domains and boundaries and their respective loops changes => entity renumbering. The "level set method" is stating that a "material" boundary (i.e. fluid inside another fluid) is defined by a bolean equation related to the space coordinates. One limitation with this method: you define a physics for one domain, so the different materials you define in this domain must use the SAME physics (i.e. structural and fluids do not basically use the same physics, but in some cases you can live with the approximation solid structure = fluid physics) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.