Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

mode analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

Im working on,step- index-fiber with mode analysis, but I dont know anything about the source , or intensity or polarization it is solved for !

thanks for advice

3 Replies Last Post Dec 16, 2010, 4:40 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 14, 2010, 8:34 a.m. EST
In mode analysis intensity or source is irrelevant. What matters nevertheless is the polarization. However, in cases such as step-index, any analysis done in cartesian coordinates will necessitate fully coupled electric and magnetic fields. Therefore look for hybrid polarization or full inplane and out of plane E-field.
In mode analysis intensity or source is irrelevant. What matters nevertheless is the polarization. However, in cases such as step-index, any analysis done in cartesian coordinates will necessitate fully coupled electric and magnetic fields. Therefore look for hybrid polarization or full inplane and out of plane E-field.

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 15, 2010, 1:47 a.m. EST

thanks for the reply

but ,what about the values that I get for field components ? are they correct ?
Is it enough to normalize them ?

thanks for the reply but ,what about the values that I get for field components ? are they correct ? Is it enough to normalize them ?

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 16, 2010, 4:40 a.m. EST
Until 3.5a, things used to be in right balance. You could normalize all the field components if you wish by a constant factor because an eigen mode divided by a constant is again the same eigen mode.

In 4.0a, I noticed that the field component normal to the boundary is called something like "Scaled normal boundary mode component". Here it gets tricky because I don't know why and with what did they scaled the normal boundary mode components and how can we get back all the components in right order of strength. It would be nice if people from Comsol support would provide their input on this.
Until 3.5a, things used to be in right balance. You could normalize all the field components if you wish by a constant factor because an eigen mode divided by a constant is again the same eigen mode. In 4.0a, I noticed that the field component normal to the boundary is called something like "Scaled normal boundary mode component". Here it gets tricky because I don't know why and with what did they scaled the normal boundary mode components and how can we get back all the components in right order of strength. It would be nice if people from Comsol support would provide their input on this.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.