Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to define line of symmetry, ie above and below are mirror images

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

I have a cylinder with some stuff placed in it on the x-axis and want to calculate the stress in the caused by the difference in thermal expansion.

I want to use the symmetry of the x-axis but I dont get how to do this. I've found this page www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1038/ describing roughly how to do it but I dont understand the last part where I choose '"Symmetry", "Insulation" or similar'.

Does someone know how to specify the line along the x-asis as a line of symmetry?

In the thermal stress package I have the options of:
Pairs>Symmetry or
Pairs>Continuity

If I choose Symmetry I cant select annything... what to doo?

2 Replies Last Post Sep 7, 2011, 9:38 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Micke Malmström

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 7, 2011, 6:44 a.m. EDT
Hi
I have the same problem. Do you have an aswer or did y ou find how to do it? Please let me know it is very important.

Best regards,

nicolas
Hi I have the same problem. Do you have an aswer or did y ou find how to do it? Please let me know it is very important. Best regards, nicolas

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 7, 2011, 9:38 a.m. EDT
Unfortunately not... I just solved the whole thing instead (didn't take too long)
Unfortunately not... I just solved the whole thing instead (didn't take too long)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.