Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Defining material properties as a function of frequency

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to model a simple asphalt slab (a normal block with complex material properties) in COMSOL 5.1 to do a modal analysis.
To do so, I am using HN model to define the Young's modulus as a function of frequency: E(freq) = E_e[MPa]+((E0[MPa]-E_e[MPa])/(1+(j*2*pi*freq[Hz]*tau[s])^alpha)^beta)
The analysis works as long as values of alpha and beta in this formula are high! So my way of defining the function shoud be fine! But when I set them as realistic values (which are for instance alpha=0.563, beta=0.212) I get this error:

Error in user-defined function.
- Function: dcomp1.mat1.def.an1_dan1__x__internalArgument
Failed to evaluate expression.
- Expression: simplify((-1)*(d(d(d((-comp1.solid.Sl11*test(comp1.solid.el11)-2*comp1.solid.Sl12*test(comp1.solid.el12)-2*comp1.solid.Sl13*test(comp1.solid.el13)-comp1.solid.Sl22*test(comp1.solid.el22)-2*comp1.solid.Sl23*test(comp1.solid.el23)-comp1.solid.Sl33*test(comp1.solid.el33))*(dvol),{test@4}),comp1.vZ),lambda)))
- Feature: Eigenvalue Solver 1 (sol1/e1)

Any idea what is going wrong?

Thank you,
Navid

0 Replies Last Post Nov 4, 2016, 8:18 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Navid Hasheminejad

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.