Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Multi coil domain- coil excitation by voltage does not depend on number of turns?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

In a multi-coil domain, using the magnetic field interface, when I give the coil excitation by voltage, I get a particular magnetic flux density. But when I change the number of turns, keeping the voltage constant, the magnetic flux density does not change. Why?

Kindly help.

6 Replies Last Post Dec 8, 2016, 9:30 a.m. EST

Posted: 7 years ago Dec 8, 2016, 8:12 a.m. EST
Hi,

I assume you mean a multi-turn coil domain, right? If you have correctly specified that the coil should be driven by your user defined voltage, then you are right, the field should change when you change the number of turns.

Difficult to say exactly why without seeing your model, if you post it I can take a quick look to see what the issue might be...

Mark
Hi, I assume you mean a multi-turn coil domain, right? If you have correctly specified that the coil should be driven by your user defined voltage, then you are right, the field should change when you change the number of turns. Difficult to say exactly why without seeing your model, if you post it I can take a quick look to see what the issue might be... Mark

Posted: 7 years ago Dec 8, 2016, 8:38 a.m. EST
Other things to check:

1) If you are plotting the field, make sure that your plot is using the correct dataset as its source. You may have used a parametric sweep to increase the voltage across a range, but your plot may be using a data set that was not created by your parametric sweep hence it looks like your field has not changed.
2) The attached file gives great guidance on multi turn coils in version 4.3a.

I have many coil models that I could share with you, but mine are all version 5.3a, looks like you are on 4.3a. Let me know if you have access to 5.3a and I can share some models that should help.

Are you in2D axisymmetric or 3D? Stationary of transient/time dependant?
Other things to check: 1) If you are plotting the field, make sure that your plot is using the correct dataset as its source. You may have used a parametric sweep to increase the voltage across a range, but your plot may be using a data set that was not created by your parametric sweep hence it looks like your field has not changed. 2) The attached file gives great guidance on multi turn coils in version 4.3a. I have many coil models that I could share with you, but mine are all version 5.3a, looks like you are on 4.3a. Let me know if you have access to 5.3a and I can share some models that should help. Are you in2D axisymmetric or 3D? Stationary of transient/time dependant?

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago Dec 8, 2016, 9:05 a.m. EST
If your coil domain remains at the same size, the resistivity of the coil rises as the number of turns rises. So with constant voltage the coil current drops and the field remains constant.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
If your coil domain remains at the same size, the resistivity of the coil rises as the number of turns rises. So with constant voltage the coil current drops and the field remains constant. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 7 years ago Dec 8, 2016, 9:12 a.m. EST
Exactly right... I just realised I mis-read his first post. I thought he was increasing the voltage and not seeing any change in field, my mistake!

Mark

By the way, I have attached the file I referred to earlier as it is a useful reference anyway.

Exactly right... I just realised I mis-read his first post. I thought he was increasing the voltage and not seeing any change in field, my mistake! Mark By the way, I have attached the file I referred to earlier as it is a useful reference anyway.

Posted: 7 years ago Dec 8, 2016, 9:30 a.m. EST
Thank you Sir :)

Posted: 7 years ago Dec 8, 2016, 9:30 a.m. EST

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.