Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using symmetry to create a heat sink

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi guys,

I am looking to design a heat sink with pin fins however I'm finding that if I make a full design it takes ages to compute. How can I use some form of symmetry so that the software only has to compute a small part of the array, rather than the whole thing? I have a small heat source in the centre of my sink (the sink sits on a chip that dissipates heat). Would that change anything?

Thank you very much

2 Replies Last Post Apr 14, 2017, 10:12 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 14, 2017, 10:02 a.m. EDT
Hello George,

The software does offer capabilities to take advantage of symmetry and periodicity, if they exist in your physical phenomenon.

Here are some pointers:

www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1038/
www.comsol.com/model/heat-sink-8574
www.comsol.com/model/forced-air-cooling-with-heat-sink-22041

Best,
Jeff
Hello George, The software does offer capabilities to take advantage of symmetry and periodicity, if they exist in your physical phenomenon. Here are some pointers: https://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1038/ https://www.comsol.com/model/heat-sink-8574 https://www.comsol.com/model/forced-air-cooling-with-heat-sink-22041 Best, Jeff

Josh Thomas Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 14, 2017, 10:12 a.m. EDT
George-

Exploiting symmetry is a great way to reduce computational expense.

First, consider if perhaps 2D axisymmetry could work for you (revolution symmetry with no change in azimuthal direction).

If no, consider if 1 or more mirror planes would produce the same results (geometry + physics) on either side of the plane. Start slicing and dicing the full 3D geometry. Keep track of symmetry planes and impose zero flux conditions on these planes.

Important point: Always remember to reduce any TOTAL loading (heat source) amounts to be appropriate (e.g. a half symmetry total heat source should be reduced by a factor of 2.) If using a heat density however do NOT reduce the amount as the denominator in the term (W/m^3) will adjust for dimensionality reduction accordingly.

Also, one nice feature in COMSOL is that you can re-constitute the full 3D geometries using revolved, sector, or mirror data sets under Results>Data Sets. No one will ever know you only solved on reduced dimensionality! Of course, you know the results would be the same ;)

Good luck!

Josh

--
Best regards,
Josh Thomas
AltaSim Technologies

OOPS -- Just saw Jeff beat me to a response! Haha.
George- Exploiting symmetry is a great way to reduce computational expense. First, consider if perhaps 2D axisymmetry could work for you (revolution symmetry with no change in azimuthal direction). If no, consider if 1 or more mirror planes would produce the same results (geometry + physics) on either side of the plane. Start slicing and dicing the full 3D geometry. Keep track of symmetry planes and impose zero flux conditions on these planes. Important point: Always remember to reduce any TOTAL loading (heat source) amounts to be appropriate (e.g. a half symmetry total heat source should be reduced by a factor of 2.) If using a heat density however do NOT reduce the amount as the denominator in the term (W/m^3) will adjust for dimensionality reduction accordingly. Also, one nice feature in COMSOL is that you can re-constitute the full 3D geometries using revolved, sector, or mirror data sets under Results>Data Sets. No one will ever know you only solved on reduced dimensionality! Of course, you know the results would be the same ;) Good luck! Josh -- Best regards, Josh Thomas AltaSim Technologies OOPS -- Just saw Jeff beat me to a response! Haha.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.