Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

area calculation of deformed surface bounded by fixed frames

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

so the question here is : I have a triangular frame. Each of the three edges can be bent but not stretched. And they can be bend in any direction. Suppose you use a thin film which has a fixed area to be surrounded by such a frame, the frame would bend its self arbitrarily to minimize the total bending energy while satisfying the fixed area enclosed. Thus forming some 3D frame. Now, my computer simulation needs to be backward. I want to give COMSOL a edge-bent triangle in 3D (each edge of the triangle is bent differently), and then ask COMSOL to calculate the surface area of the film that is tension by this arbitrary 3D triangle. Is this possible in COMSOL? Please let me know soon.

Thank you so much!

~Tina =]

1 Reply Last Post Feb 17, 2011, 1:27 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 17, 2011, 1:27 a.m. EST
Hi

I believe so, but first one must untangle somewhat your demand.

I do not really understand what you mean by edges being "bend, but not stretched" ?
to bend something you will make it longer (assuming the edge boundaries = end points are fixed in space) hence it must be stretched too.

So probably you mean that the edge boundaries = end points are fixed in space ?

Then you want to bend your beams, OK but this can only be done by applying some load in a given desired direction

Finally you want to add a "film" that is stretched between the edges and that balances out the bending loads ?

Then how is the film loaded itself to pull on the edges to give them their shape ?

One you align this, with your BC for the final edge shapes I believe you have the solution how to implement it, no ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe so, but first one must untangle somewhat your demand. I do not really understand what you mean by edges being "bend, but not stretched" ? to bend something you will make it longer (assuming the edge boundaries = end points are fixed in space) hence it must be stretched too. So probably you mean that the edge boundaries = end points are fixed in space ? Then you want to bend your beams, OK but this can only be done by applying some load in a given desired direction Finally you want to add a "film" that is stretched between the edges and that balances out the bending loads ? Then how is the film loaded itself to pull on the edges to give them their shape ? One you align this, with your BC for the final edge shapes I believe you have the solution how to implement it, no ? -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.