Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error "complex-valued stress function"

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

HI,
I have already acquired results about the transient temperature distribution of a steel plate processed in the high frequency induction heating. When solid mechanics application was added to analyse the Thermal Elastoplastic deformation of the plate, an error read "complex-valued stress function" was warned.

Need help, Many thanks!

6 Replies Last Post Jul 6, 2011, 10:32 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 17, 2011, 1:18 a.m. EST
Hi

well I haven't seen that one ;) but if you analyse the sentence you should look at the way you define the stress, could it be that you are entering a complex value when a only real was expected, i.e. you are missing an abs() (+ sign) or a real() or perhaps even an imag() for a variable transfer ?

What are the values of this complex value ? is the complex part negligible ? ...

From thereon you should be able to decide how to continue

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi well I haven't seen that one ;) but if you analyse the sentence you should look at the way you define the stress, could it be that you are entering a complex value when a only real was expected, i.e. you are missing an abs() (+ sign) or a real() or perhaps even an imag() for a variable transfer ? What are the values of this complex value ? is the complex part negligible ? ... From thereon you should be able to decide how to continue -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 30, 2011, 12:10 p.m. EDT
I'm having the same problem. I'm using version 3.0a and trying to model the effects of thermal expansion of a wire (elasto-plastic material) inside a ceramic material. I keep getting the following error when its finished:

"Evaluation of post processing expression failed. Complex stress function".

The details on my model follow..

====================================
====================================
Model:
Axial Symmetry (2D) -> Structural Mechanics Module -> Static Analysis Elasto-Plastic Material model

Constants:
Th=1900+273
Tl=298
Rm=200e-6
Ra=2e-2
ht=1e-2
Em=314.5e9
sy0=414e6
Etm=68.9e9

Scalar Expressions:
currT=Tl+(Th-Tl)*(param*(param<=1)+(2-param)*(param>1))

Draw:
Rectangle 1:
corner at origin; width=Rm, height=ht/2
Rectangle 2:
corner at origin; width=Ra, height=ht/2

Subdomain Settings:

(1 - Inner Material):
elastoplastic material
E=Em
nu=0.380
alpha=5.35e-6
rho=10220
Hardening model: isotropic
yield fn: von Mises
sigma_ys=sy0
E_T_iso=Etm

(2- Main material):
isotropic
E=315e9
nu=.239
alpha=7.8e-6
rho=3690

(1&2):
Load->Include thermal expansion is checked
Tempref=Tl
Temp=currT

Boundary Settings:
(2&5 - 'bottom') Rz=0 (symmetry)

Mesh:
Initialized then refined twice (~8000 elements)

Solve:
Static elastoplastic -> Parametric Nonlinear
param = 0:0.01:2
(ramps temperature from room Temp to 1900°C then back down to room temperature).

Nothing else was changed from the default settings.

=====================================
=====================================
I'm having the same problem. I'm using version 3.0a and trying to model the effects of thermal expansion of a wire (elasto-plastic material) inside a ceramic material. I keep getting the following error when its finished: "Evaluation of post processing expression failed. Complex stress function". The details on my model follow.. ==================================== ==================================== Model: Axial Symmetry (2D) -> Structural Mechanics Module -> Static Analysis Elasto-Plastic Material model Constants: Th=1900+273 Tl=298 Rm=200e-6 Ra=2e-2 ht=1e-2 Em=314.5e9 sy0=414e6 Etm=68.9e9 Scalar Expressions: currT=Tl+(Th-Tl)*(param*(param1)) Draw: Rectangle 1: corner at origin; width=Rm, height=ht/2 Rectangle 2: corner at origin; width=Ra, height=ht/2 Subdomain Settings: (1 - Inner Material): elastoplastic material E=Em nu=0.380 alpha=5.35e-6 rho=10220 Hardening model: isotropic yield fn: von Mises sigma_ys=sy0 E_T_iso=Etm (2- Main material): isotropic E=315e9 nu=.239 alpha=7.8e-6 rho=3690 (1&2): Load->Include thermal expansion is checked Tempref=Tl Temp=currT Boundary Settings: (2&5 - 'bottom') Rz=0 (symmetry) Mesh: Initialized then refined twice (~8000 elements) Solve: Static elastoplastic -> Parametric Nonlinear param = 0:0.01:2 (ramps temperature from room Temp to 1900°C then back down to room temperature). Nothing else was changed from the default settings. ===================================== =====================================

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 30, 2011, 1:30 p.m. EDT
It's the combination of elasto-plastic material and thermal expansion that seems to be failing.

The following simpler model receives the same "Complex stress function" error

=============

Axial Symmetry (2D) -> Structural Mechanics Module -> Static Analysis Elasto-Plastic Material model

Draw a 1x1 square

subdomain:
Use the default material, select elasto-plastic, keep default elastoplastic settings (isostatic w/ tangent modulus).
check "include thermal expansion."
Tempref=298
Temp=298+1000*param

no boundary conditions imposed

solver: static elastoplastic -> nonlinear parameter

param=0:0.2:1

=================
It's the combination of elasto-plastic material and thermal expansion that seems to be failing. The following simpler model receives the same "Complex stress function" error ============= Axial Symmetry (2D) -> Structural Mechanics Module -> Static Analysis Elasto-Plastic Material model Draw a 1x1 square subdomain: Use the default material, select elasto-plastic, keep default elastoplastic settings (isostatic w/ tangent modulus). check "include thermal expansion." Tempref=298 Temp=298+1000*param no boundary conditions imposed solver: static elastoplastic -> nonlinear parameter param=0:0.2:1 =================

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 5, 2011, 1:59 p.m. EDT
It's the default von Mises yield function (at least in my case) that is causing the error. Using tresca_axi or s1_axi or real(mises_axi) as the yield function runs through successfully (at least for the simple unrestrained geometry).

mises_axi=sqrt(sx^2+sy^2-sx*sy-sy*sz-sx*sz+3*sxy^2+3*syz^2+3*sxz^2+4*Sys^2*eps)
tresca_axi=max(max(abs(s1-s2),abs(s2-s3)),abs(s1-s3))
It's the default von Mises yield function (at least in my case) that is causing the error. Using tresca_axi or s1_axi or real(mises_axi) as the yield function runs through successfully (at least for the simple unrestrained geometry). mises_axi=sqrt(sx^2+sy^2-sx*sy-sy*sz-sx*sz+3*sxy^2+3*syz^2+3*sxz^2+4*Sys^2*eps) tresca_axi=max(max(abs(s1-s2),abs(s2-s3)),abs(s1-s3))

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 6, 2011, 10:23 a.m. EDT
Your equation for mises_axi is missing an sz^2 term. That’s why it get negative values.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Your equation for mises_axi is missing an sz^2 term. That’s why it get negative values. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 6, 2011, 10:32 a.m. EDT

Your equation for mises_axi is missing an sz^2 term. That’s why it get negative values.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering

I apparently forgot it when typing it up above. The mises_axi is a preset variable (so I didn't actually define it within comsol..I was just manually copying it into the forum post from a copy from comsol's variable definition dialog box).
[QUOTE] Your equation for mises_axi is missing an sz^2 term. That’s why it get negative values. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering [/QUOTE] I apparently forgot it when typing it up above. The mises_axi is a preset variable (so I didn't actually define it within comsol..I was just manually copying it into the forum post from a copy from comsol's variable definition dialog box).

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.