Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Gradually change material parameter(s) as a function of the domain position

Christian Dahl-Petersen

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to model a material in which one or more material parameter changes throughout the material as a function of the position in the material domain. This could for instance be a material density that changes with the distance from the material surface.
Is it possible to model such effects in COMSOL or will I need to simplify my approach and go with two or more distinct domains in which I define discretely varying material parameters?

Any input will be much appreciated.

Best Regards
Christian

1 Reply Last Post Jun 12, 2017, 8:38 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Jun 12, 2017, 8:38 a.m. EDT
Hello Christian,
COMSOL's GUI is interpreted, so don't hesitate to use a mathematical expression for a material property. For instance if you want to model some sort of engineered material with a spatially varying Young's modulus, you could type an expression like "1+x" (without the quotation marks) in the text field for the Young's modulus. Those expressions can depend not only on the spatial coordinates, but also on unknowns solved by the analysis, like temperature, etc. You can certainly make use of this to have properties that vary with how far from the surface a point is; see www.comsol.com/blogs/tips-using-wall-distance-interface/ .
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Christian, COMSOL's GUI is interpreted, so don't hesitate to use a mathematical expression for a material property. For instance if you want to model some sort of engineered material with a spatially varying Young's modulus, you could type an expression like "1+x" (without the quotation marks) in the text field for the Young's modulus. Those expressions can depend not only on the spatial coordinates, but also on unknowns solved by the analysis, like temperature, etc. You can certainly make use of this to have properties that vary with how far from the surface a point is; see https://www.comsol.com/blogs/tips-using-wall-distance-interface/ . Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.