Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Postprocessing: Skewed scales on 2D plots

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have 2-D porous media model that I use to run flow and transport simulations (Laminar Flow and Transport of Diluted Species modules, respectively). The simulations works very well. However, the problem is in the post-processing.

The domain is a rectangle: 7.4 cm long by 1.5 cm high. Most of the time when I view 2D plots (surface plots), the spacing in the x and y directions are equal (i.e. the scales are the same so the domain looks like the rectangle that it is). But, other times, the scales are skewed such that it plots my domain into a square! This problem comes up without any reason as far as I can tell. I will be using the same model and it will plot things with the correct scales, and then one time when I re-open the model and click on the 2D plot results, the skewed plot shows up.

I don't know why this happens and I can't seem to go back to have equal-scaled plots when the skewed results come up.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

3 Replies Last Post Mar 15, 2011, 12:29 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 15, 2011, 12:17 p.m. EDT
Hi

you have an option in the Definition - View node (or the sub-sub node) where you can select the option of fixed axis or free-scaled axis (the latter is very usefull in i.e. MEMS for thin features).

Sometimes, when you open a free-scale model the settings remain for another model, within the same GUI process. Check it out

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have an option in the Definition - View node (or the sub-sub node) where you can select the option of fixed axis or free-scaled axis (the latter is very usefull in i.e. MEMS for thin features). Sometimes, when you open a free-scale model the settings remain for another model, within the same GUI process. Check it out -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 15, 2011, 12:26 p.m. EDT
Ah, this is good. In Definition -> View, I have the option to "Lock axis". And in the View subnode Axis, I have the option to "Preserve aspect ratio". I have selected both and this seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks Ivar!
Ah, this is good. In Definition -> View, I have the option to "Lock axis". And in the View subnode Axis, I have the option to "Preserve aspect ratio". I have selected both and this seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks Ivar!

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 15, 2011, 12:29 p.m. EDT
It is, in fact, the "Preserve Aspect Ratio" that is important. The "Lock axis" can be a pain if you change the size of your graphics window...
It is, in fact, the "Preserve Aspect Ratio" that is important. The "Lock axis" can be a pain if you change the size of your graphics window...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.