Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to get a model M file

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I have a matlab file which loads the vertices and the connectivity between them in matlab, I am not able to export this geometry to COMSOL for further simulation. I went through the guide and I assume that a model M file is to be generated to make it accessible by COMSOL. Please help me in converting my m file into the model M file which can be loaded in COMSOL as geometry.

i am using comsol 3.5a

Thanks in Advance

1 Reply Last Post Mar 15, 2011, 4:07 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 15, 2011, 4:07 p.m. EDT
Hi

that is because a mesh is not really a "geometry", not in the sense of COMSOL. The mesh is the last operation done on a (Comsol) Geometry composed of Entities: Domains, Boundaries, which again are delimited by Edges & Points.

You apply Physics and Boundaries respectively to Domains and Boundaries (mainly, sometimes in other mixes).

So if you load i a mesh, you need to recompose the Domains and their Boundaries. This worked, more or less, in 3.5a, for simple geometries meshed and provided in "Nastran Neutral File" formats, but I havent checked how it works in V4.

Once I have understood this I have given up using meshes from other programmes, this means too that I cannot exchange with other FEM programmes, which gives me some serous issues with some clients requesting file exchange via certain formats => I must hore someone external to finish or repeat the job with these tools. In contrary to CAD exchange, where there are a few +/- good transfer formats, Ido not know of any standard for FEM !

On the other hand, you have sometimes scanner images that gives you meshed geoemtries. To use thes efficiently in COMSOL the best isto have the geometries reconstructed into larger shapes, a few third partyx software tools exist, see the main COMSOl site. To do it yourself is possible,but it should be considered as a project by itself, not necessarily trivial all depending on th shapes

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that is because a mesh is not really a "geometry", not in the sense of COMSOL. The mesh is the last operation done on a (Comsol) Geometry composed of Entities: Domains, Boundaries, which again are delimited by Edges & Points. You apply Physics and Boundaries respectively to Domains and Boundaries (mainly, sometimes in other mixes). So if you load i a mesh, you need to recompose the Domains and their Boundaries. This worked, more or less, in 3.5a, for simple geometries meshed and provided in "Nastran Neutral File" formats, but I havent checked how it works in V4. Once I have understood this I have given up using meshes from other programmes, this means too that I cannot exchange with other FEM programmes, which gives me some serous issues with some clients requesting file exchange via certain formats => I must hore someone external to finish or repeat the job with these tools. In contrary to CAD exchange, where there are a few +/- good transfer formats, Ido not know of any standard for FEM ! On the other hand, you have sometimes scanner images that gives you meshed geoemtries. To use thes efficiently in COMSOL the best isto have the geometries reconstructed into larger shapes, a few third partyx software tools exist, see the main COMSOl site. To do it yourself is possible,but it should be considered as a project by itself, not necessarily trivial all depending on th shapes -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.