Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Subtracting two 3D objects

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I am working on a geometry that consists of an impeller in a cylindrical tank. The impeller is imported as an stl. Then, in Comsol, I build a cylinder surrounding the impeller. I then want to subtract the impeller from the cylinder, but when I try to do this, both objects dissappear.

I am using version 4.1.0.185, CFD module.

Thank you!
Sylvana

3 Replies Last Post Mar 26, 2011, 7:49 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 24, 2011, 4:34 p.m. EDT
Hi

that is probably because the stl geometry has not been convertd correctly to a comsol "object", there are a few settings available, either to transform an imported geometry to a COMSOL "object" (somewhere there in the right click options), or to force COMSOL to use a given external geometrial solver (i.e. Parasolid if you have the option)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that is probably because the stl geometry has not been convertd correctly to a comsol "object", there are a few settings available, either to transform an imported geometry to a COMSOL "object" (somewhere there in the right click options), or to force COMSOL to use a given external geometrial solver (i.e. Parasolid if you have the option) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 25, 2011, 10:43 a.m. EDT
Hi, Ivar

Thank you very much for your response. I tried "convert to solid" in the Geometry right-click options, but the same happens. I honestly don't know where to indicate the Parasolid option. I don't have the CAD Import Module, I don't know if the Parasolid option only works with this module. Anything else I can do? I tried to subtract the impeller from a square and I get a message saying "internal geometry error".

Thank you

Sylvana
Hi, Ivar Thank you very much for your response. I tried "convert to solid" in the Geometry right-click options, but the same happens. I honestly don't know where to indicate the Parasolid option. I don't have the CAD Import Module, I don't know if the Parasolid option only works with this module. Anything else I can do? I tried to subtract the impeller from a square and I get a message saying "internal geometry error". Thank you Sylvana

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 26, 2011, 7:49 p.m. EDT
Hi

I just created the geometry from scratch in Comsol, which was very easy. However, this was a simple geometry. It would still be nice to know what went on in my import process for future more complex geometries.

Any ideas are welcome!
Thanks!

Sylvana
Hi I just created the geometry from scratch in Comsol, which was very easy. However, this was a simple geometry. It would still be nice to know what went on in my import process for future more complex geometries. Any ideas are welcome! Thanks! Sylvana

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.