Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How Can I Use 2D equation as a Bounduary Condition for a 3D Equation?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everybody,
I want to link 2D and 3D equations in COMSOL 3.5. For this reason I want to use the 2d equation as a boundary condition for the 3D equation one. I have made two different Geoms (2D and 3D) but I could not use the result of the 2D model as an input for 3d one. Would you please let me know how can I sort it out?
Cheers,

Ali
University of Waikato
Private Bag 3105
Hamilton 3240, New Zealand
Tel: +64 7 838 4466 Ext: 6452
Fax:+64 7 856 0115 Email:as283@waikato.ac.nz

5 Replies Last Post Apr 15, 2011, 3:03 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2011, 1:32 a.m. EDT
Hi
3.5 is getting to old for me, but I believe you should use the extrusion coupling variables to "extrude" a 2D domain variable onto a 3D area check the doc

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi 3.5 is getting to old for me, but I believe you should use the extrusion coupling variables to "extrude" a 2D domain variable onto a 3D area check the doc -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 7, 2011, 11:41 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,
Thank you for your kind advice fortunately it work but it seemed that 3D model after running the model make effect on the 2D one and I do not want it. How should I manage it?
P.S. I use ver 3.5a
--
Shokri
Hi Ivar, Thank you for your kind advice fortunately it work but it seemed that 3D model after running the model make effect on the 2D one and I do not want it. How should I manage it? P.S. I use ver 3.5a -- Shokri

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 8, 2011, 1:01 a.m. EDT
Hi

then probably both simulations are running, you shoudl segregate or use the last tab in the solver manager to run two solver sequences separate (and restart the second with the results of the first one

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi then probably both simulations are running, you shoudl segregate or use the last tab in the solver manager to run two solver sequences separate (and restart the second with the results of the first one -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 13, 2011, 8:06 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,
I really appreciated your kind helps. I believe the method you mentioned in previous message, should be work, but I could not find how I should "restart the second with the results of the first one". I have simplified the model to a 2D PDE with 1D boundary condition equation. would you please take a look at it? an tell me What should I do for eliminating the effect of 2D equation on 1D one.
Kind regards,
Ali
Hi Ivar, I really appreciated your kind helps. I believe the method you mentioned in previous message, should be work, but I could not find how I should "restart the second with the results of the first one". I have simplified the model to a 2D PDE with 1D boundary condition equation. would you please take a look at it? an tell me What should I do for eliminating the effect of 2D equation on 1D one. Kind regards, Ali

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 15, 2011, 3:03 a.m. EDT
Hi

that is due to the "bidirectional" link enabled by default, it took me some time to understand ;)
And worse I longer find back where the setting is in 3.5 It's the ideal / non-ideal Boundary condition set by default to ideal !

It's easier to find in V4 ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that is due to the "bidirectional" link enabled by default, it took me some time to understand ;) And worse I longer find back where the setting is in 3.5 It's the ideal / non-ideal Boundary condition set by default to ideal ! It's easier to find in V4 ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.