Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Licensing issue

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear NG,

when I start comsol (v 4.1, linux, academic floating license) I get an error message, saying:

License Error: -4
Licensed number of users already reached.

Feature: MATLIB
License path: /usr/local/comsol41/license/license.dat
FLEXnet Licensing error:-4,132
For further information, go to www.flexera.com

By the way, I DID visit www.flexera.com and only got an error message on their homepage:
Directory Listing Denied
This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

Great help ;-)

So, when I click "ok" on Comsols error message box, Comsol opens as usual and I can work with it as usual. There is no problem.
And when I have a look on "help" --> "about comsol" --> "licensed products" --> "show information"
then obviously all the available licenses are shown and also the licenses, which are in use.
The funny thing is: whenever this error message appears and I looked at this list, there are always much less licenses in use, than licenses are available.
So, there should not be any reason for this error message.

When I work with the Comsol GUI, it does not matter to me, I just click the message away and can work.
But when I script my models from Matlab, which I need to do with some, then this non-sense error message stops the script and the models cannot be run.
This is really a bad thing...

Anyone knows a solution for this?
Uninstalling and reinstalling did not help..

Thanks a lot!
Have a nice weekend everyone,
Juergen

4 Replies Last Post Apr 15, 2011, 8:34 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 8, 2011, 10:15 a.m. EDT
Hello Juergen,
From the error message it seems that the problem is related specifically to the Material Library product. What I would look into is whether users of the software close the Material Browser window when they are done using it. If they do not, I suspect they may be locking up seats of the Material Library potentially for no reason. This is just an educated guess.
Jeff
Hello Juergen, From the error message it seems that the problem is related specifically to the Material Library product. What I would look into is whether users of the software close the Material Browser window when they are done using it. If they do not, I suspect they may be locking up seats of the Material Library potentially for no reason. This is just an educated guess. Jeff

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 8, 2011, 10:22 a.m. EDT
Dear Jeff,

thanks a lot for your quick reply.
I will try this!

If this turns out to be the reason, can I somehow prevent a Comsol model, that I run from a Matlab script and that does not use or need the material library, from checking if the material library license is available and from throwing an error message and stopping the script, if it is not available?

Thanks a lot and a good weekend,
Juergen
Dear Jeff, thanks a lot for your quick reply. I will try this! If this turns out to be the reason, can I somehow prevent a Comsol model, that I run from a Matlab script and that does not use or need the material library, from checking if the material library license is available and from throwing an error message and stopping the script, if it is not available? Thanks a lot and a good weekend, Juergen

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 8, 2011, 4:49 p.m. EDT

By the way, I DID visit www.flexera.com and only got an error message on their homepage:
Directory Listing Denied
This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

Great help ;-)

Yeah they changed their website. It is www.flexerasoftware.com/ now. We will change the COMSOL code in version 4.2 so that it points to the new site.

Niklas
[QUOTE] By the way, I DID visit www.flexera.com and only got an error message on their homepage: Directory Listing Denied This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed. Great help ;-) [/QUOTE] Yeah they changed their website. It is http://www.flexerasoftware.com/ now. We will change the COMSOL code in version 4.2 so that it points to the new site. Niklas

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 15, 2011, 8:34 a.m. EDT
Dear Jean-Francois,

you were right, it was the material library, although my model does not need this library.
In the GUI the material library window always opened in the background, because I have had a look at it once.
Obviously it opens by default when you start the GUI until you close this background window.
So even if the model does not need the library, it tries to check out the license for it at every start.

Once I closed this window, the error message did not appear any longer, even when running the models not from the GUI but from a Matlab script.

Great, thanks a lot and have a good weekend,
Juergen
Dear Jean-Francois, you were right, it was the material library, although my model does not need this library. In the GUI the material library window always opened in the background, because I have had a look at it once. Obviously it opens by default when you start the GUI until you close this background window. So even if the model does not need the library, it tries to check out the license for it at every start. Once I closed this window, the error message did not appear any longer, even when running the models not from the GUI but from a Matlab script. Great, thanks a lot and have a good weekend, Juergen

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.