Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to insert a fan in Comsol 4.1

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am modeling a hydraulics closed loop. So i need to insert a fan to generate a flow rate or a velocity in the loop.
In other term, i need to put the condition (Inlet) and outlet to the interior boundary

Is that possible with Comsol 4.1

Thank you

6 Replies Last Post May 13, 2011, 9:00 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 15, 2011, 9:24 a.m. EDT
Hi

formally no, since interior boundaries are normally unique (and used by both adjacent domains) and respect Flux continuity.

So the only way around (mostly there is a workaround), would be, for me, to use "assembly" mode. Because then a common border is de-doubled, one per adjacent domain, and it is up to you to apply the correct flux continuation between both, or "cheat" and say here is a "hidden fan"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi formally no, since interior boundaries are normally unique (and used by both adjacent domains) and respect Flux continuity. So the only way around (mostly there is a workaround), would be, for me, to use "assembly" mode. Because then a common border is de-doubled, one per adjacent domain, and it is up to you to apply the correct flux continuation between both, or "cheat" and say here is a "hidden fan" -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 15, 2011, 9:45 a.m. EDT
Hi
Thank you for reply.

When you say assembly mode that's mean i create my geometry on (solid work) for example and i coupled to Comsol?

Also can u send to me a simple example (comsol file)
Thank you .
Hi Thank you for reply. When you say assembly mode that's mean i create my geometry on (solid work) for example and i coupled to Comsol? Also can u send to me a simple example (comsol file) Thank you .

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2011, 9:01 a.m. EDT
I also try to model a fan inside the domain. Is it possible use 4.1?? If you have example can you mail to me? Thanks!
I also try to model a fan inside the domain. Is it possible use 4.1?? If you have example can you mail to me? Thanks!

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2011, 10:31 a.m. EDT
Hi

No I'm talking about COMSOL assembly mode, you need to look up the doc and read about the "Geometry Finish Union" and "Assembly". This is rather important to understand for all contact and complex models

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi No I'm talking about COMSOL assembly mode, you need to look up the doc and read about the "Geometry Finish Union" and "Assembly". This is rather important to understand for all contact and complex models -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 20, 2011, 4:26 a.m. EDT
I think the easiest way to do this is to draw a thin slit with a finite thickness. Deactivate the physics in the slit. That way you slit up the loop, but you still have reasonable continuity in velocity and mass flux, thanks to the continuity equation.

--
Niklas
I think the easiest way to do this is to draw a thin slit with a finite thickness. Deactivate the physics in the slit. That way you slit up the loop, but you still have reasonable continuity in velocity and mass flux, thanks to the continuity equation. -- Niklas

Posted: 1 decade ago May 13, 2011, 9:00 a.m. EDT
Hi again

Thank you for your answer
Does anybody have a simple example in 2D or 3D

Thank you
Hi again Thank you for your answer Does anybody have a simple example in 2D or 3D Thank you

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.