Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to obtain values for a variable on the boundary?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am using the heat transfer module and for the heat flux boundary condition, I need to modify what COMSOL has built in.

For example, I have

q = h(T_ext - T) + other tems

on the right boundary of a rectangular domain, and I want to define a variable q_surf and input q = q_surf.

When defining this variable q_surf, I need to have the values for T on that particular boundary.

How to do this? What would be the expression?

Thanks a lot!!

7 Replies Last Post May 5, 2011, 6:42 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2011, 11:09 a.m. EDT
Hi

in the heat transfer T is the dependent variable so you solve for T that means that T=T(x,y,z,t) (T only if you are in a transient case, so if you select a boundary and use the variable T it will scan over the edge coordinates, whatever they are. The formula applies to an element of size dx,dy,dz (in 3D). This is part of the implit notation of COMSOL, it is important to understand it, see the doc.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in the heat transfer T is the dependent variable so you solve for T that means that T=T(x,y,z,t) (T only if you are in a transient case, so if you select a boundary and use the variable T it will scan over the edge coordinates, whatever they are. The formula applies to an element of size dx,dy,dz (in 3D). This is part of the implit notation of COMSOL, it is important to understand it, see the doc. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2011, 11:30 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

Thank you very much for your reply and help.

So that means I don't need to specifically find an expression for T on the boundary and {q_suf = h(T_ext-T) + other terms} is just perfectly fine. And when it comes to that boundary, COMSOL will automatically evaluate T at those coordinates. Am I correct?

Thanks a lot again.

Hi Ivar, Thank you very much for your reply and help. So that means I don't need to specifically find an expression for T on the boundary and {q_suf = h(T_ext-T) + other terms} is just perfectly fine. And when it comes to that boundary, COMSOL will automatically evaluate T at those coordinates. Am I correct? Thanks a lot again.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2011, 12:16 p.m. EDT
Hi

You need to add your "other terms" but if you use T in your equations it will evaluate T along the boundary for each mesh element when using the formula you enter

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi You need to add your "other terms" but if you use T in your equations it will evaluate T along the boundary for each mesh element when using the formula you enter -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2011, 12:50 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

Thank you very much!! This is very helpful.

Hi Ivar, Thank you very much!! This is very helpful.

Rajeswaran Radhakrishnan

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2011, 1:00 p.m. EDT
Hi Dr.Ivar

I am using comsol 3.5a for simulating Li ion battery.I am a new user ,so I am trying to redo the same model which is given in comsol already.But I get the following error,

Error:
Time 3.746334577378822:
Error in residual computation.
Power_of_negative
Function: ^
Failed_to_evaluate_variable
Variable: i0, Defined_as: (((k_pos*((c1max_pos-c1s_pos)^aA_pos))*(c1s_pos^aC_pos))*(c2^aA_pos))
Failed_to_evaluate_variable
Variable: i_loc, Defined_as: ((exp((((Far*aA_pos)*eta)/(Rg*T)))-exp(((((-aC_pos)*Far)*eta)/(Rg*T))))*i0)
Failed_to_evaluate_expression
Expression: d(((-K1eff*phi1x*test(phi1x)/L_pos-i_loc*Sa_pos*L_pos*test(phi1))-(0))*(dvol),{test@1})
Last time step is not converged.

Can you please help me out in this?

Thanks,

Rajeswaran.
Hi Dr.Ivar I am using comsol 3.5a for simulating Li ion battery.I am a new user ,so I am trying to redo the same model which is given in comsol already.But I get the following error, Error: Time 3.746334577378822: Error in residual computation. Power_of_negative Function: ^ Failed_to_evaluate_variable Variable: i0, Defined_as: (((k_pos*((c1max_pos-c1s_pos)^aA_pos))*(c1s_pos^aC_pos))*(c2^aA_pos)) Failed_to_evaluate_variable Variable: i_loc, Defined_as: ((exp((((Far*aA_pos)*eta)/(Rg*T)))-exp(((((-aC_pos)*Far)*eta)/(Rg*T))))*i0) Failed_to_evaluate_expression Expression: d(((-K1eff*phi1x*test(phi1x)/L_pos-i_loc*Sa_pos*L_pos*test(phi1))-(0))*(dvol),{test@1}) Last time step is not converged. Can you please help me out in this? Thanks, Rajeswaran.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2011, 1:25 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

I actually have another question related to this.

Suppose that I have a coupled problem, and for that same boundary for the heat transfer problem, the expression for boundary condition includes a flux n from the module Transport in Diluted Species, where the dependent variable is the concentration c.

I believe I could obtain this flux as a result from that module. However, I need to specify it only on the boundary. Is this case the same?

So the expression for the boundary condition reads:

q_surf = h(T_ext - T) -lambda*n_surf - c_p*T*n_surf

This n_surf is the flux from the species transport. How could I obtain this for the boundary?

Thanks a lot again.

Hi Ivar, I actually have another question related to this. Suppose that I have a coupled problem, and for that same boundary for the heat transfer problem, the expression for boundary condition includes a flux n from the module Transport in Diluted Species, where the dependent variable is the concentration c. I believe I could obtain this flux as a result from that module. However, I need to specify it only on the boundary. Is this case the same? So the expression for the boundary condition reads: q_surf = h(T_ext - T) -lambda*n_surf - c_p*T*n_surf This n_surf is the flux from the species transport. How could I obtain this for the boundary? Thanks a lot again.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 5, 2011, 6:42 p.m. EDT
I have the same error as you. It is really annoying, Mine has sign '^''. But yours does not have this sign.

I don't know if the T can be used to boundary directly. I would like to define a boundary variable in Definitions.
I have the same error as you. It is really annoying, Mine has sign '^''. But yours does not have this sign. I don't know if the T can be used to boundary directly. I would like to define a boundary variable in Definitions.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.