Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Multi turn coil 4.0a

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Ivar,

I have a question about the multi turn domain. There is one input in the domain which requires to input coil crossection area. My question is that if this crossection area should match with the crossection area of the domain itself (I mean the one which is drawn in geometry.)?

thanks

Omar

4 Replies Last Post Jul 19, 2011, 9:35 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago May 6, 2011, 9:39 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I'm not Ivar, but maybe I can help too ;)

I think it should be cross-section area of a single wire in the winding. Pay attention that even default applied value of 1e-6[m^2] is typical for a thin wire.
Hi, I'm not Ivar, but maybe I can help too ;) I think it should be cross-section area of a single wire in the winding. Pay attention that even default applied value of 1e-6[m^2] is typical for a thin wire.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 6, 2011, 9:03 p.m. EDT
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes that I understand that it should be the cross-section of the single wire. But my question is that should the cross section area match the domain area drawn in COMSOL.
for example,if I select the 2x4 rectangular box drawn in geometry as a multi-turn domain. then should the area of the cross section which I'll be putting in the multi turn domain match with the actual domain area itself. (for example 2x4=8mm^2 in this case)

thanks,
Hi, Thanks for the reply. Yes that I understand that it should be the cross-section of the single wire. But my question is that should the cross section area match the domain area drawn in COMSOL. for example,if I select the 2x4 rectangular box drawn in geometry as a multi-turn domain. then should the area of the cross section which I'll be putting in the multi turn domain match with the actual domain area itself. (for example 2x4=8mm^2 in this case) thanks,

Posted: 1 decade ago May 9, 2011, 5:28 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I've made few tests with coil and different winding's 'box' size. I see that some quantities are computed using applied values in M-TCD and some others depends on geometry. In my opinion for the most reliable results in FE computations we should use dimensions as similar to the reality as it is possible.

With regards,
Przemek
Hi, I've made few tests with coil and different winding's 'box' size. I see that some quantities are computed using applied values in M-TCD and some others depends on geometry. In my opinion for the most reliable results in FE computations we should use dimensions as similar to the reality as it is possible. With regards, Przemek

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 19, 2011, 9:35 p.m. EDT
Sir Using 4.1 .... I wanna model the Coil in 3d is it allowed ???
Sir Using 4.1 .... I wanna model the Coil in 3d is it allowed ???

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.