Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Boolean Difference of Solids

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm attempting to model Joule heating in a metallic object immersed in a saline slurry. I've created the slurry object and assigned material properties to it. I've also imported a CAD model of the metallic object (an hip prosthesis).

I'm assuming that I must do some kind of Boolean difference of the object and the liquid slurry before proceeding. Is this correct, or does COMSOL somewhow figure this out on its own?

4 Replies Last Post Sep 7, 2011, 10:54 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 3, 2011, 4:48 a.m. EDT
Hi

when you leave the geoemtry node, COMSOL does "ana analyse" of the geoemtry and transform the "objects" (what I call volumes faces, lines and points" and into "entities" (Dmains, boundaries, edges, points)

If you work in "union mode" (finish node) then COMSOl will make two domains, your metallic part and the surrounding volume (difference of overlapping volumes)

In "assembly" mode (nothing to do with a CAD assembly be aware ;) the volumes will overlap, then you must do the union, difference etc yourself before leaving the Geomtry node

This is very important concept and methodology steps of COMSOL to understand, as COMSOl differs from other "older" FEM tools here.
The "physics" is inked to the denumered "Entities" and NOT to the "objects, NOR directly to the mesh (of the entities)
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi when you leave the geoemtry node, COMSOL does "ana analyse" of the geoemtry and transform the "objects" (what I call volumes faces, lines and points" and into "entities" (Dmains, boundaries, edges, points) If you work in "union mode" (finish node) then COMSOl will make two domains, your metallic part and the surrounding volume (difference of overlapping volumes) In "assembly" mode (nothing to do with a CAD assembly be aware ;) the volumes will overlap, then you must do the union, difference etc yourself before leaving the Geomtry node This is very important concept and methodology steps of COMSOL to understand, as COMSOl differs from other "older" FEM tools here. The "physics" is inked to the denumered "Entities" and NOT to the "objects, NOR directly to the mesh (of the entities) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 6, 2011, 11:09 a.m. EDT
Thank you for the prompts response! To be clear, when you speak of working in "Union mode", what exactly does that mean? Do I performa boolean union of the part and the slurry?
Thank you for the prompts response! To be clear, when you speak of working in "Union mode", what exactly does that mean? Do I performa boolean union of the part and the slurry?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 7, 2011, 10:50 a.m. EDT
Hi

check the doc aboit the "geoemtry". when you leave the geometry node you have two distinct options in the "Finish" node (V4): its "union" or "assembly"

check the forum too (search) there are several discussions around this important feature of COMSOL

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the doc aboit the "geoemtry". when you leave the geometry node you have two distinct options in the "Finish" node (V4): its "union" or "assembly" check the forum too (search) there are several discussions around this important feature of COMSOL -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 7, 2011, 10:54 a.m. EDT
Thank you again.

I discovered this after posting my question to you yesterday and was able to make more progress in the modeling. I'm now dealing with meshing issues in the hip implant model imported from another CAD program, but this is another problem altogether!

Cheers,

David
Thank you again. I discovered this after posting my question to you yesterday and was able to make more progress in the modeling. I'm now dealing with meshing issues in the hip implant model imported from another CAD program, but this is another problem altogether! Cheers, David

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.