Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

does heat transfer in solids and fluids include convection?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I want to know if the physics "heat transfer in solids and fluids" alone includes natural convection or if I need to add Laminar flow with it.

Sincerely,

7 Replies Last Post Jun 19, 2023, 12:26 p.m. EDT

Posted: 10 months ago Jun 14, 2023, 1:00 a.m. EDT

you should use a fluid interface to consider the 'convection'.

you should use a fluid interface to consider the 'convection'.

Posted: 10 months ago Jun 14, 2023, 4:42 a.m. EDT

Ok, thanks for your reply

Ok, thanks for your reply

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 months ago Jun 14, 2023, 8:12 a.m. EDT
Updated: 10 months ago Jun 15, 2023, 2:18 a.m. EDT

Hi,

To clarify: The Heat Transfer in Solids and Fluids physics interface includes both a Solid node for heat conduction in solid domains and a Fluid node for heat convection and conduction in fluid domains, so you can use it for heat convection, but a Heat Transfer in Fluids physics interface is more appropriate if the entire computational domain consists of fluids. For the heat convection, the velocity can be taken from an added fluid-flow interface in your model, or you can use a user-defined expression for the velocity field. There is also a predefined Conjugate Heat Transfer multiphysics interface, which includes a laminar or turbulent fluid-flow interface and a predefined multiphysics coupling between the heat transfer and the fluid flow for modeling nonisothermal flow.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi, To clarify: The Heat Transfer in Solids and Fluids physics interface includes both a Solid node for heat conduction in solid domains and a Fluid node for heat convection and conduction in fluid domains, so you can use it for heat convection, but a Heat Transfer in Fluids physics interface is more appropriate if the entire computational domain consists of fluids. For the heat convection, the velocity can be taken from an added fluid-flow interface in your model, or you can use a user-defined expression for the velocity field. There is also a predefined Conjugate Heat Transfer multiphysics interface, which includes a laminar or turbulent fluid-flow interface and a predefined multiphysics coupling between the heat transfer and the fluid flow for modeling nonisothermal flow. Best regards, Magnus

Posted: 10 months ago Jun 15, 2023, 11:00 a.m. EDT

Hi,

To clarify: The Heat Transfer in Solids and Fluids physics interface includes both a Solid node for heat conduction in solid domains and a Fluid node for heat convection and conduction in fluid domains, so you can use it for heat convection, but a Heat Transfer in Fluids physics interface is more appropriate if the entire computational domain consists of fluids. For the heat convection, the velocity can be taken from an added fluid-flow interface in your model, or you can use a user-defined expression for the velocity field. There is also a predefined Conjugate Heat Transfer multiphysics interface, which includes a laminar or turbulent fluid-flow interface and a predefined multiphysics coupling between the heat transfer and the fluid flow for modeling nonisothermal flow.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi, Thanks for your reply now I understand it better. I have a question, when I use Conjugate Heat Transfer, does it also take in consideration heat transfer by radiation?

Best regards, Mohammed

>Hi, > >To clarify: The Heat Transfer in Solids and Fluids physics interface includes both a Solid node for heat conduction in solid domains and a Fluid node for heat convection and conduction in fluid domains, so you can use it for heat convection, but a Heat Transfer in Fluids physics interface is more appropriate if the entire computational domain consists of fluids. For the heat convection, the velocity can be taken from an added fluid-flow interface in your model, or you can use a user-defined expression for the velocity field. There is also a predefined Conjugate Heat Transfer multiphysics interface, which includes a laminar or turbulent fluid-flow interface and a predefined multiphysics coupling between the heat transfer and the fluid flow for modeling nonisothermal flow. > >Best regards, > >Magnus Hi, Thanks for your reply now I understand it better. I have a question, when I use Conjugate Heat Transfer, does it also take in consideration heat transfer by radiation? Best regards, Mohammed

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 months ago Jun 16, 2023, 2:28 a.m. EDT
Updated: 10 months ago Jun 16, 2023, 2:29 a.m. EDT

Hi Mohammed,

With the Conjugate Heat Transfer multiphysics interface, you can add surface-to-ambient radiation to boundaries. With the Heat Transfer Module, there are additional physics interfaces for surface-to-surface radiation that you can add to the model if needed.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Mohammed, With the Conjugate Heat Transfer multiphysics interface, you can add surface-to-ambient radiation to boundaries. With the Heat Transfer Module, there are additional physics interfaces for surface-to-surface radiation that you can add to the model if needed. Best regards, Magnus

Posted: 10 months ago Jun 19, 2023, 5:35 a.m. EDT

Hi Mohammed,

With the Conjugate Heat Transfer multiphysics interface, you can add surface-to-ambient radiation to boundaries. With the Heat Transfer Module, there are additional physics interfaces for surface-to-surface radiation that you can add to the model if needed.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi, Thanks for your reply I understand Hi Mohammed,

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi, Thanks for your reply, I understand. Best regards, Mohammed

>Hi Mohammed, > >With the Conjugate Heat Transfer multiphysics interface, you can add surface-to-ambient radiation to boundaries. With the Heat Transfer Module, there are additional physics interfaces for surface-to-surface radiation that you can add to the model if needed. > >Best regards, > >Magnus >Hi, Thanks for your reply I understand >Hi Mohammed, > >With the Conjugate Heat Transfer multiphysics interface, you can add surface-to-ambient radiation to boundaries. With the Heat Transfer Module, there are additional physics interfaces for surface-to-surface radiation that you can add to the model if needed. > >Best regards, > >Magnus Hi, Thanks for your reply, I understand. Best regards, Mohammed

Posted: 10 months ago Jun 19, 2023, 12:26 p.m. EDT
Updated: 10 months ago Jun 26, 2023, 3:34 a.m. EDT

Hi Mohammed,

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Magnus, I have another question if you don't mind, do I also need to add an additional physics interface for heat conduction or it's already included in the Conjugate Heat Transfer Multiphysics?

Best regards, Mohammed

>Hi Mohammed, > >With the Conjugate Heat Transfer multiphysics interface, you can add surface-to-ambient radiation to boundaries. With the Heat Transfer Module, there are additional physics interfaces for surface-to-surface radiation that you can add to the model if needed. > >Best regards, > >Magnus Hi Magnus, I have another question if you don't mind, do I also need to add an additional physics interface for heat conduction or it's already included in the Conjugate Heat Transfer Multiphysics? Best regards, Mohammed

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.