Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How do I excite a waveguide with multiple modes?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am working on modeling office corridors as waveguides. I have a waveguide model for a corridor of approximately 2 meter wide. The source is a point source sending at a frequency of 2.44 GHz, the model is done analytically in a straight corridor with PEC walls which is very easy. The main problem here is that a lot of modes will propagate due to the short wavelength and the wide corridor. (It’s all in 2D by the way)

Now I am trying to use Comsol to calculate numerically how the mode coefficients couples across a 90 degree bend in the corridor. I have looked at the "H bend Waveguide with S-parameters" example in the manual and was thinking about doing the same thing but in this case the corner is like the corner of a normal office building.

The problem I have is how to excite a port with more than one mode. What I want is to calculate the S parameters between the different modes and how they couple into each other across the corridor bend.

I have been using the "In Plane TE waves" application mode from the RF module. From my analytical calculations I have found that 16 modes propagate along the corridor at the frequency 2.44 GHz. So I want to excite a port with these 16 modes. Anyone know how I can do that??

0 Replies Last Post Sep 7, 2011, 10:02 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Daniel Söderman

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.