Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

New user - Simulating electromagnetic force on metal sheet?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I am a new user of COMSOL. More specifically, I am using COMSOL 4.1. I am trying to simulate a certain time dependent electric current through a flat coil, causing a magnetic field, which in turn causes forces to act on a metal sheet placed above the flat coil, ultimately deforming this metal sheet plastically. Currently, I have defined the geometry, the material and an interpolation function for the time dependent current.

Question 1: Am I correct to expect needing to use Electric Currents (ec), Magnetic Fields (mf) and Solid Mechanics (solid)?

Question 2: How do I put the desired time dependent current on the coil? I saw various options for putting in currents, such as external current density, boundary current source and normal current density. After reading the documentation, I feel the latter two are not what I need. However, the external current density requires me to put in the three components of the current density. For the defined geometry, this is rather complicated. I just want my defined current (with interpolation function) to follow the direction of the coil. How am I supposed to do this?

Question 3: After applying the time dependent current on the coil, how do I calculate the electromagnetic force generated on the metal sheet and visualise the deformation of the metal sheet?

I hope I made my problem clear and that somebody could provide help.

0 Replies Last Post Sep 7, 2011, 2:06 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello W. Wong

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.