Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to model an Hyperelastic material

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I have to model the strain and stress trend for an hyperelastic material and I'd like like to have some advices because I don't know which equations I can use. The second Piola-Kirchhoff equation can be used for hyperelastic materials?
I found this one:

S= J*F^-1*σ*F^-T

but I don't if I can use it in this kind of material. If it's possible to use it how can I calculate σ (stress)? And the strain (ε)? And in which way they are related? Because I suppose I can't use the Hooke law (σ=E*ε).

Thanks.

3 Replies Last Post Sep 30, 2011, 7:13 a.m. EDT
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 26, 2011, 5:41 p.m. EDT
If you have a hyperelastic material you can just use the COMSOL capability that allows you to define your own hyperelastic strain-energy function. That way COMSOL will internally handle the stress transformations, and provide you output of Cauchy (true) stress, first and second Piola Kirchhoff stress.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
If you have a hyperelastic material you can just use the COMSOL capability that allows you to define your own hyperelastic strain-energy function. That way COMSOL will internally handle the stress transformations, and provide you output of Cauchy (true) stress, first and second Piola Kirchhoff stress. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 27, 2011, 10:00 a.m. EDT
Comsol have a number of hyperelastic material models that you can use, and alternatively, you can define your own material model. Generally, a neo-Hookean material model, or Mooney-Rivlin model defines rubber-like material quite well. However, it sounds like you don't know the behavior of the hyperelastic material you are interested in. You might want to start with some experimental data of the stress strain (or force-elongation) curve of the material which might help you.
Comsol have a number of hyperelastic material models that you can use, and alternatively, you can define your own material model. Generally, a neo-Hookean material model, or Mooney-Rivlin model defines rubber-like material quite well. However, it sounds like you don't know the behavior of the hyperelastic material you are interested in. You might want to start with some experimental data of the stress strain (or force-elongation) curve of the material which might help you.

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 30, 2011, 7:13 a.m. EDT
Hi,
thanks so much. I think I found something interesting. I just have to insert my equations and see what happens. If i'll need more explainations I'll write down all my questions.

Thanks, bye
Hi, thanks so much. I think I found something interesting. I just have to insert my equations and see what happens. If i'll need more explainations I'll write down all my questions. Thanks, bye

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.