Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

bend to required diameter

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

i have a multiwalled tube made of different material to be bend to various diameters. to study the stress strain effect at these dia, what should i do? is it possible to bend a wire in required diameter

2 Replies Last Post Oct 27, 2011, 4:18 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 27, 2011, 1:07 p.m. EDT
Hi

I'm not sure I', catching your question fully, but if you have a straight bar and you apply a moment on the end, fixed on the other you will bend it as a circular arc (or thereabout. BUT you MUST use large deformations. You could try with a rigid connector on the loaded end, and increase the moment y steps to see the bar curl and bend

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure I', catching your question fully, but if you have a straight bar and you apply a moment on the end, fixed on the other you will bend it as a circular arc (or thereabout. BUT you MUST use large deformations. You could try with a rigid connector on the loaded end, and increase the moment y steps to see the bar curl and bend -- Good luck Ivar

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 27, 2011, 4:18 p.m. EDT
If you use beam elements then do as Ivar described. The bending moment will cause a change in the radius of curvature of the beam (that will be uniform throughout the length of the beam). You also directly prescribe the rotational degree of freedom instead of applying a moment.

If you have a multi-material wall tube however, then you may have to model it with 3D solid elements. In that case it is harder to apply a moment/rotation since solid elements have no rotational degrees of freedom. You can achieve the same effect applying a Rigid Connector constraint to one beam end, and giving that constraint a prescribed rotation. There will be local stress concentrations at the two beam ends but in many cases they are negligible.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
If you use beam elements then do as Ivar described. The bending moment will cause a change in the radius of curvature of the beam (that will be uniform throughout the length of the beam). You also directly prescribe the rotational degree of freedom instead of applying a moment. If you have a multi-material wall tube however, then you may have to model it with 3D solid elements. In that case it is harder to apply a moment/rotation since solid elements have no rotational degrees of freedom. You can achieve the same effect applying a Rigid Connector constraint to one beam end, and giving that constraint a prescribed rotation. There will be local stress concentrations at the two beam ends but in many cases they are negligible. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.