Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Transport properties for COMSOL engineering lab

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am having difficulties in obtaining the transport properties for my research.
Any idea on where can i get the potential characteristic length,the dipole moment,and also the potential energy minimum?

2 Replies Last Post Nov 24, 2016, 4:02 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello koh seng

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 23, 2016, 10:56 a.m. EST
Hi Koh Seng /comsol community,

I know, the post is over 6 years old, but I found this with google, because I have the same problem. Could you solve it or does anyone else have an idea? Can this be calculated? (I need it for WF6 and HF).

In the help is written:

"For a gas mixture, there are maximum five properties to consider: σ, the characteristic length (unit: Å) of the Lennard-Jones/Stockmayer potential; ε/kb, the energy minimum (SI unit: K) of the Lennard-Jones/Stockmayer potential; μD, the dipole moment (SI unit: Debye); ki, the thermal conductivity of the gas (SI unit: W/(m K)); and Diffusivity of the species (SI unit: m2/s). The latter two can be set as Automatic, when theoretical Transport Parameters expressions are available."

a picture showing the meaning of σ and ε:
chem.libretexts.org/@api/deki/files/8914/=Figure_B.jpg?revision=1

In Comsol it's ε divided by boltzmann constant
Hi Koh Seng /comsol community, I know, the post is over 6 years old, but I found this with google, because I have the same problem. Could you solve it or does anyone else have an idea? Can this be calculated? (I need it for WF6 and HF). In the help is written: "For a gas mixture, there are maximum five properties to consider: σ, the characteristic length (unit: Å) of the Lennard-Jones/Stockmayer potential; ε/kb, the energy minimum (SI unit: K) of the Lennard-Jones/Stockmayer potential; μD, the dipole moment (SI unit: Debye); ki, the thermal conductivity of the gas (SI unit: W/(m K)); and Diffusivity of the species (SI unit: m2/s). The latter two can be set as Automatic, when theoretical Transport Parameters expressions are available." a picture showing the meaning of σ and ε: http://chem.libretexts.org/@api/deki/files/8914/=Figure_B.jpg?revision=1 In Comsol it's ε divided by boltzmann constant

Posted: 8 years ago Nov 24, 2016, 4:02 a.m. EST
In this paper the desired values for a lot of gases can be found:
www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/v77-418#.WDarCXpKBpc

In this paper the desired values for a lot of gases can be found: http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/v77-418#.WDarCXpKBpc

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.