Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Total flux not zero in steady state solution

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!
I am simulating a semiconductor quantum well system and have a rather simple flux question. The specifics of the model is not very important, but I am using the transport of dilute species to model the electron populations in different part of the structure.
I have a layered (2D) structure A-B-C. Layers A and C has one electron population and layer B has a separate electron population. I have manually set the flux A<->B and B<->C using the 'flux' node in transport of dilute species. All other boundaries have the 'no flux' condition set.

Comsol manages to find a solution both in equilibrium, and also with voltages applied to A and C, however if I integrate the flux through the boundary AB and BC, they are not equal. I guess this means I have two questions
- Since the flux (I integrate the actual flux expressions, not the flux COMSOL tells me since this is not accurate) into B and out from B are not equal, that means this is not a steady state solution, since the electron population will be changing with time? How is this handled in COMSOL and why does it find this as a steady state solution?
- Is there anyway in comsol to set a constraint, such that the integral of flux along over all boundaries of B should be zero?

Kristian

1 Reply Last Post Dec 12, 2011, 1:12 a.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 12, 2011, 1:12 a.m. EST
Hi,

I have quite the same problem. Does none know a solution?

Elmar
Hi, I have quite the same problem. Does none know a solution? Elmar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.