Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simple Question: Transport of Diluted Species

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

"Transport of Diluted Species" >> "Convection and Diffusion" >> Diffusion >> Bulk Material

What is "Bulk Material"? Choosing "None" or Material I used makes any difference?

Thanks.

1 Reply Last Post Jan 22, 2012, 12:10 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 22, 2012, 12:10 p.m. EST
Hi

from my understanding its the static material, i.e. if you have water diffusing in some sand, the bulk is the sand, and the diffusing material is the water => bulk -> sand

But then if the diffusivity Dc is not defined in the bulk material (i.e."sand") then the same user defined diffusivity Dc is used so it seems that there are no changes, however, if the diffusivity is defined in the bulk material selected, then you can switch to the "User defined property group" that I understand is the material variable Dc

Most other fields operate the other way: by default its the material properties that apply, and you can manually override, here its the manual that is the default and you must override specifically 2x to get the material properties used

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi from my understanding its the static material, i.e. if you have water diffusing in some sand, the bulk is the sand, and the diffusing material is the water => bulk -> sand But then if the diffusivity Dc is not defined in the bulk material (i.e."sand") then the same user defined diffusivity Dc is used so it seems that there are no changes, however, if the diffusivity is defined in the bulk material selected, then you can switch to the "User defined property group" that I understand is the material variable Dc Most other fields operate the other way: by default its the material properties that apply, and you can manually override, here its the manual that is the default and you must override specifically 2x to get the material properties used -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.