Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Domain point probe in moving mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to evaluate a dependent variable at a point very close to a geometric boundary that is moved using a moving mesh. I can do this by introducing an additional boundary parallel to the original one so that i can select it in postprocessing, but this makes the mesh extremely fine in this region.

I also tried adding only a single point in the geometry, but when i select it in a point graph, I get the error:

Failed to evaluate operator. - Operator: mean - Geometry: geom1 - Point: 11 Mean operator requires a meshed adjacent entity of higher dimension when evaluated on points and edges. Failed to evaluate expression. - Expression: mean(comp1.Bz)

My question is: Is there any way to evaluate at a point in a geometry that is moving without introducing additional mesh elements, such as is done with the Domain Point Probe node? The Domain Point probe would be ideal, but it seems that it is not possible to define time dependent coordinates for the point.

Thank you

Alex

3 Replies Last Post May 11, 2020, 10:01 a.m. EDT

Posted: 4 years ago May 8, 2020, 4:09 p.m. EDT
Updated: 4 years ago May 8, 2020, 4:42 p.m. EDT

Nevermind, this did the trick:

https://www.comsol.com/blogs/using-general-extrusion-coupling-operator-comsol-dynamic-probe/

Nevermind, this did the trick: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/using-general-extrusion-coupling-operator-comsol-dynamic-probe/

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago May 8, 2020, 4:40 p.m. EDT

Alex,

have you tried a cut point dataset?

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Alex, have you tried a cut point dataset? Cheers Edgar

Posted: 4 years ago May 11, 2020, 10:01 a.m. EDT

Hi Edgar,

I have tried a cut point dataset, but it seems like having time-dependent coordinates outputs only the last time coordinate for some reason. The general extrusion seems to do the trick well.

Thanks,

Alex

Hi Edgar, I have tried a cut point dataset, but it seems like having time-dependent coordinates outputs only the last time coordinate for some reason. The general extrusion seems to do the trick well. Thanks, Alex

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.