Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solid Mechanics & Deformed Geometry Coupling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The below post is related to an archived discussion

I have a similar problem that has been discussed before in the forum, please see the link to the previous discussion. Similarly, there are two domains in my simulation: a circle ( growing with deformed geometry-and it is working properly when it is alone) and a rectangular plate that is not moving. I would like to see the deformation and stress distribution that will take place on the rectangular plate, due to the contact between the growing circle and rectangular plate. However, after the initial touch, the simulation cannot convergence anymore, and is stopped. What is the proper way to set a contact between these two domains?

2 Replies Last Post Jun 5, 2020, 1:58 p.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago Jun 5, 2020, 9:29 a.m. EDT

Hi Atacan,

It is difficult to tell what happens only from this description. It is possible that there is a subtle problem in the interaction between deformed geometry and contact, but it can also be a matter of just tuning solvers etc. I would suggest sending your model to support if you are on a subscription.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Atacan, It is difficult to tell what happens only from this description. It is possible that there is a subtle problem in the interaction between deformed geometry and contact, but it can also be a matter of just tuning solvers etc. I would suggest sending your model to support if you are on a subscription.

Posted: 4 years ago Jun 5, 2020, 1:58 p.m. EDT

Hi Henrik,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will contact the support, have also uploaded the model here.

The solution of the model interrupted once the initial interaction between the parts, hence I am thinking the problem can be related to the solver configuration that I have used.

Hi Henrik, Thanks for your suggestion. I will contact the support, have also uploaded the model here. The solution of the model interrupted once the initial interaction between the parts, hence I am thinking the problem can be related to the solver configuration that I have used.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.