Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to make Bézier curves into Bézier surfaces?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi peeps

I read an article, saying that by creating Bézier curves, both horizontally and vertically, at which all control points are corresponding with each other, the last curves drawn will form a Bézier surface.

Please see attachment. :)

I did but the whole Bézier polygon seems to be consisted of edges and not yet a surface. Any advise?

ps: I move on trying 'interpolation curve' while waiting for your inputs.

Many thanks!!!!!!!!!!

regards
Liwah

6 Replies Last Post Mar 14, 2012, 9:34 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 1, 2012, 11:38 a.m. EST
updates --

Interpolation curve seems to be not working as well. Not too sure if 'parametric surface' helps but to create a particular surface geometry, I am afraid that I could not simply use a formula ('expression').

If I stick with 'Bézier polygon' to create Bézier curves, how to make them into Bézier surfaces by the end?

many thanks!!

regards
Liwah
updates -- Interpolation curve seems to be not working as well. Not too sure if 'parametric surface' helps but to create a particular surface geometry, I am afraid that I could not simply use a formula ('expression'). If I stick with 'Bézier polygon' to create Bézier curves, how to make them into Bézier surfaces by the end? many thanks!! regards Liwah

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 1, 2012, 12:34 p.m. EST
There is a node "convert so solid" in geometry section. It should work for you.
There is a node "convert so solid" in geometry section. It should work for you.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 2, 2012, 8:42 a.m. EST
Hi

I tried 'convert to surface' as well as 'convert to solid', the whole thing (as per previous attachment) just disappeared. If I tried with higher default relative repair tolerance, COMSOL ceased
Itself.

any advise? many thanks!!

Regards
Liwah
Hi I tried 'convert to surface' as well as 'convert to solid', the whole thing (as per previous attachment) just disappeared. If I tried with higher default relative repair tolerance, COMSOL ceased Itself. any advise? many thanks!! Regards Liwah

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 14, 2012, 9:17 a.m. EDT
I have the same issue, are we missing something?
I have the same issue, are we missing something?

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 14, 2012, 9:27 a.m. EDT
Create a workplane first and draw your flat polygon on that. Than add an extrude and extrude the surface you drew on the workplane. That should give you a 3d element.

You need to workplane to be able to extrude.
Create a workplane first and draw your flat polygon on that. Than add an extrude and extrude the surface you drew on the workplane. That should give you a 3d element. You need to workplane to be able to extrude.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 14, 2012, 9:34 a.m. EDT
hi there

extruded 3D element is a flat plane, I did that for some of my 3D elements. Yet, I need deformed surfaces which could not be extruded from a workplane. I am now trying to create these deformed surfaces from, for instance, hexahedrons (several hexahedrons together forming one deformed surface). Now, my problem is: unable to form union without errors.

any advises are appreciated!! thanks!!

regards
Liwah
hi there extruded 3D element is a flat plane, I did that for some of my 3D elements. Yet, I need deformed surfaces which could not be extruded from a workplane. I am now trying to create these deformed surfaces from, for instance, hexahedrons (several hexahedrons together forming one deformed surface). Now, my problem is: unable to form union without errors. any advises are appreciated!! thanks!! regards Liwah

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.