Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Clarification about Electrochemistry Module to Simulate a Cottrell Experiment

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good Afternoon,

I am currently trying to perform a Cottrell Experiment by simulating electrolyte diffusing into our working electrode of interest which in this specific case is a 3D thin film. The goal is to build a model that generates current which matches up as much as possible with the current calculated from the Cottrell Equation.

I am currently working on making the mesh of my geometry very dense. While working on this process, I read further in the Electrochemistry Module User's guide and it mentioned that the "Internal Electrode Surface" node should be used when the electrode itself is being explicitly modeled which in this case I am with the 3D thin film.

I primarily wanted to confirm if this would prove helpful in my case measuring the diffusive current to compare with the Cottrell Equation or if this node is more designed for specifically for electrode reactions or double layer capacitance being present. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I am using an Academic Class Kit License Version 5.2a.

I have attached a screenshot below of the user's manual that I obtained my information from.

Thank you very much for your time!

Joe Gonzales ; University of California, Irvine

1 Reply Last Post Sep 4, 2020, 1:58 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Sep 4, 2020, 1:58 a.m. EDT

There is an earlier discussion about Cottrell current where I added a couple of comments. To which equation exactly you are trying to make the comparison?

Lasse

There is an earlier discussion about Cottrell current where I added a couple of comments. To which equation exactly you are trying to make the comparison? Lasse

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.